Just Ride

Brake lever stuck?

Hit my local trail after work today. Started ripping through the first part as usual. Everything going fine and working fine, including both sets of brakes. Then all the sudden I noticed my front brake lever was next to impossible to pull, then after coasting a short distance it freed up and worked just fine for the next several miles of trail. I stopped and checked it out before continuing on those several miles though and nothing was out of place. What could cause this? Could it be leaves getting stuck between the pad and rotor?
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

workin' it Administrator
    Could be air in the fluid in the house or more likely the caliper, it will heat up during hard braking and cause the break to be unresponsive or apply the brake without input from you. I would look at bleeding the brakes. I am assuming you have hydraulics.
    Try this: HTFU

Just Ride
    No, sorry, suppose I should have mentioned they are mechanical. I'll be upgrading to hydro in the future for sure. Just wasn't in the budget to get a bike equipped with em.
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Cormac View Post
    No, sorry, suppose I should have mentioned they are mechanical. I'll be upgrading to hydro in the future for sure. Just wasn't in the budget to get a bike equipped with em.
    Sounds like you may have had something pop up off the trail and wedge the movable pad. I've had a small twig get wedged between the actuating arm and the caliper body on my BB7s and freeze it up like that as well. Not very common, but it can happen. I've also seen the brake housing pop out of it's seat and hang up on the edge of it. This puts tension on the actuating arm and partially applies the brake, then when you go to pull the lever there's almost no movement. This usually happens at the lever with the front brake and can be caused by a tug from a branch or the like. Again not very common, but possible. The only other possibility is something going south with the internals of the caliper. Not likely though as caliper issues are usually not self correcting.

Just give the brake a good inspection, lever, cable, housing, caliper, pads, etc. If all is well, I'd say you just got a twig or something stuck between the pad and rotor. When you coasted a bit it worked it's way out.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"