LFJ
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Brake lever squeezed with wheel off - help

Well, I had my front wheel off and my son walked over to my bike and squeezed the front brake lever. My brake pads were stuck together and I couldn't remount my front wheel. I was able to carefully pry the pads far enough apart to put the front wheel on but now the rotor rubs like crazy. Now my new Shimano XT hydraulic 765 brakes that were set up perfectly with absolutely no drag are dragging and I would like to know how to fix them.
    Thanks.

Bodhisattva
    Pry them all the way back flush to the caliper. Mount wheel. Squeeze lever a few times. If the disc is rubbing on one pad, push the rotor over to that side and while holding it there, squeeze the lever a few times. Repeat back & forth as necessary until the rotor is centered beteen the pads. As an alternative, you could place a business card between the rotor & the closer pad and squeeze the lever. Make sure the screwdrive is grease-free and use a towel when handling the rotor to prevent contamination with hand oils.
    Life....the original terminal illness

LFJ
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Business card

Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    Pry them all the way back flush to the caliper. Mount wheel. Squeeze lever a few times. If the disc is rubbing on one pad, push the rotor over to that side and while holding it there, squeeze the lever a few times. Repeat back & forth as necessary until the rotor is centered beteen the pads. As an alternative, you could place a business card between the rotor & the closer pad and squeeze the lever. Make sure the screwdrive is grease-free and use a towel when handling the rotor to prevent contamination with hand oils.
    I like the business card idea. I will try that. Thank you.

LFJ
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Tried it.

Quote Originally Posted by LFJ
    I like the business card idea. I will try that. Thank you.
    I just tried the business card suggestion between the rotor and the brake pad and it worked. That fixed the problem. Much appreciated.