Anytime. Anywhere.

Brake Lever Setup

I've got 2 bikes with Avid levers/BB discs/XT thumbsfifters and 1 with Sram 9.0 V's/gripshift. I am able to set my brake levers far enough inboard to have the end of the lever line up with my index finger. This gives my 1 finger maximum leverage for good braking. My brakes are also setup Euro style.

I was thinking of trying the new Sram X9, so I went to the shop and had a look. When I put the X9 shifters and some brake levers on a bar they will only go on with the brake lever outboard which is way too close to the grip for my liking.

Are thumbshifters and twisters my only options?
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle
    I've got 2 bikes with Avid levers/BB discs/XT thumbsfifters and 1 with Sram 9.0 V's/gripshift. I am able to set my brake levers far enough inboard to have the end of the lever line up with my index finger. This gives my 1 finger maximum leverage for good braking. My brakes are also setup Euro style.

I was thinking of trying the new Sram X9, so I went to the shop and had a look. When I put the X9 shifters and some brake levers on a bar they will only go on with the brake lever outboard which is way too close to the grip for my liking.

Are thumbshifters and twisters my only options?
    Well , You can always ditch the shifters and go singlespeed ?
    Other than that . There isn't to many options out there that don't use Thumbies , twisters and such.

Anytime. Anywhere.

Come on

I can't be the only one with this problem. Does everybody have their levers too far outboard? Oh, and I'm talkin about real thumbshifters, not Crapidfire! I have to prepare for the day when my thumbies have all broken. I have been thinking of going SS on one bike, but haven't taken the plunge yet. Hers is a bad photo of my setup:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Travis Bickle; 06-09-2004 at 05:35 AM. Reason: add photo
    I got some bad ideas in my head.