mtbr member
    Jan 2004

brake lever returning slow (xt 2008)

Hi...
    I have a set of hydraulics xt 2008 brakes and after doing a bleed to the rear brake when the lever is pressed the feeling of retracting the pistons is a little slow compared to the front brake where pads are almost new (150km metallic pads), also the rear pads are organic and are almost at their edge of useful life...like 100 more km and they go out.
    Could it be because of this?, I mean in the rear the pistons have to move more to close the gap, compared to the front. Also if I remember correctly, this systems have "self adjustment", so it means that the travel of the lever should be the same regardless the remaining life of the pads..

Other thing to considerate is that after the bleeding (it was made fine, no air bubbles, I did it twice to confirmate) I cleaned all the surroundings from the mineral oil, but some of it remainend near the internals of the lever and after that I took them for a ride and some grit and thin sand made their way into the lever...I don`t know how to call the piece of metal that goes into the reservour when you press the lever...:S

Anyways, If I want to remove the lever how should I do it?...I just want to clean it up everything...

http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/te...9830637950.pdf

My main concern there is that I don`t know if removing the free stroke screw something will come out...(besides the screw)...

So we have two questions here...Thanks a lot!!

bye

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    no one knows?...

Huh?
    What fluid did you use for your bleeding?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    shimano mineral oil.

I have seen in this forum some members that regards the shimano calipers are not rebuildable, they extract the pistons, put grease into the seals and pop them in again...could this be done, without risking to damage the caliper?...