Perpetual Noob

Brake lever issues

So I'm a bit new to this, hence the posting here. I'm getting tired of going back to the LBS after every outing I take to the park or alpine trail that I hit on my weekends. My brake levers, primarily the lever for the rear brake, come right up to the shifters on the bike, often times causing me to hit a shifter when trying to pull the brake (with the lever itself). I'm not quite sure as to where I need to make the adjustment to get that tightened up so that the levers no longer hit my shifters. Do I pull excess cable through the disc calipers on the brakes themselves here? I made some field adjustments the last time I went out using the barrel screws that the cables feed into, but the rear so much so that that barrel is going to come right out of the lever if I loosen it any more. Don't mean, to sound so helpless here, but if I can save myself a trip of loading the bike into the car and then motoring to the LBS then I'll gladly take it.

mtbr member
    Which brakes do you have? Brand and model would really help. Thanks

Perpetual Noob
    Hayes MX4's with Avid FR-5 levers.

meow, meow.
    Check that reach adjust screws on the levers are not set to an extreme position. It's the small set screw hidden in lever body halfway between the barrel and the clamp.

Check cable pinch bolts on calipers. They may not be tight enough, and the cable can slowly creep out of these.

Re-tighten the cables, and have your adjustment barrels (nearly) all the way in while you're at it.
    26" faithful.