mtbr member
    Jul 2010

brake lever issue - cross post from begineers forum

This is my post in the begineers forum, seeking help with a brake lever issue. Not sure how to cross-reference to that, so I've copied it below. Any input would be appreciated:

So I posted up here like so many about getting back into the saddle and getting a new bike etc. Instead I got some new tires and knocked the dust off my rigid 1995 Cannondale M500. I've found handling to be difficult at times, which I presumed would happen as it had been close to 10 years since I'd ridden a trail of any sort. In particular I've found that log-overs (or whatever people call it when you bunny hop a log) difficult, particularly maintaining a line once over. I tend to keep a finger or two on the brake levers whenever approaching something even slightly technical. These are the old CODA cantilever brakes, and the levers angle out a good bit from the handle bar, so to have a finger ready to brake I need my hands all the way in (I have grip shift as well). Well yesterday for whatever reason I tried to ride through these sections with my hands out to the ends of the bar and noticed that I had way more control on handling and confidence. This hand position does not lend itself well to braking when needed, especially when needed quickly and when moving my hands inward could be trouble.

So I'm wondering if there are any brake levers I could find that maintain a shorter distance between the bar and the lever so I can keep my hands as wide as possible on the bar. Or maybe someone has an alternative suggestion. I'm not particularly keen on purchasing a new brake system, just levers that stay closer to the bar. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Bill.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Try the Avid Speed Dial 7 levers. They can be found less than 20 bucks online or ebay and work well with any mechanical brakes. You can adjust both reach and modulation, and they are widely regarded as the best mechanical brake levers.

Also, you should try to move your brakes inward so there is about an inch or so gap from the end of your grips to the brakes. This places the end of the lever in line with your index finger so you can get good power out of the brake levers when using one finger to brake.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Good call. Thanks for the recommendation.