Thread: Brake issues.

I think we should go back
    Nov 2008

Brake issues.

Ok. I bought a used bike with Juicy 7 brakes. I have a few concerns about them because they seem to be causing me the most issues over anything else.

1) I was taking off the back wheel to check and see if it was leaking air. In doing so, it was kind of rattley trying to hold the bike up. When I got the wheel off, I saw the pads fell out. I was trying to put them back in and noticed that the front brakes have a retainer clip (H-clip I think it's called) that seems to hold the pads together. I noticed I had lost that clip, the bike is fairly new so I couldn't tell if that clip has been gone from a long time ago because those pads seem to have fallen out fairly easily. So, do I need this clip that I either lost or the bike never had? If I need it could i pick it up from the bike shop with out having to buy new pads altogether? Kind of a strange thing a bike shop would stock. if this clip isn't THAT important to the braking, I probably won't get it.

2)The front brake, when you pull the lever it makes a small squeek coming from the lever part and some times when you pull the brake, the lever retracts back to normal but it is almost like the piston has stiction in the lever (maybe not the lever) and the lever will move freely until you squeeze the brake and then the piston will rebound with the lever back to the normal postion. So basically, sometimes when you pull the brake and release, the lever will release back to the normal spot but the piston gets stuck like it needs to be lubed or something, does this mean the brakes need to be bled? Is bleeding them something i could do and how much would it cost?

Thanks for the help!

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    "1) I was taking off the back wheel to check and see if it was leaking air. In doing so, it was kind of rattley trying to hold the bike up. When I got the wheel off, I saw the pads fell out. I was trying to put them back in and noticed that the front brakes have a retainer clip (H-clip I think it's called) that seems to hold the pads together. I noticed I had lost that clip, the bike is fairly new so I couldn't tell if that clip has been gone from a long time ago because those pads seem to have fallen out fairly easily. So, do I need this clip that I either lost or the bike never had? If I need it could i pick it up from the bike shop with out having to buy new pads altogether? Kind of a strange thing a bike shop would stock. if this clip isn't THAT important to the braking, I probably won't get it."

The proper name for the part is a "spreader clip". It holds the pads in the open position and keeps them pressed against the post on the piston, so also serves to hold the pads in place in the caliper. Without it the pads are free to rattle around in the caliper and fall out when the rotor is not in place. So yes you need it. Any LBS that is an Avid dealer should have them in stock as all BB7 (except the old Type F models), Juicy's, and other models with bottom loaded brake pads use them. So not an uncommon part, or at least they shouldn't be.

"2)The front brake, when you pull the lever it makes a small squeek coming from the lever part and some times when you pull the brake, the lever retracts back to normal but it is almost like the piston has stiction in the lever (maybe not the lever) and the lever will move freely until you squeeze the brake and then the piston will rebound with the lever back to the normal postion. So basically, sometimes when you pull the brake and release, the lever will release back to the normal spot but the piston gets stuck like it needs to be lubed or something, does this mean the brakes need to be bled? Is bleeding them something i could do and how much would it cost?"

It could be a bleed or it could be other problems with the master cylinder. Bleeding is not difficult with the J7's, but it does require an Avid bleed kit. It is something that you can learn to do yourself. However, first time out I would suggest having someone that is experienced along to help you out. You should be able to get a bleed kit online or at a good shop, and the instructions for bleeding are on the Avid website. Follow the directions exactly! Making sure that the brake is properly bled is almost always the first step in diagnosing a problem. So either have them bled or do it yourself. How much it will cost you is impossible to say. Labor rates for shops vary widely across the country. At the shop I work at we charge $40 to bleed a set of hydraulic disc brakes. What is customary where you live could be more or less. If you're not experienced with it though It would be worth it to have them bled at a good shop that knows what they are doing. This could also be caused by a sticky piston(s) in the caliper as well. So have them checked out.

Good Dirt

E]
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

I think we should go back
    Nov 2008
    Thanks for that, you enlightened me on all of my questions. I will head on down to the shop and ask for the clip and have the brake checked out. I just have been trying to find out everything wrong with the bike, i am trying to make everything right on it.