mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Brake installation question

I just purchased SLX brakes for my 2011 Camber Elite 29er and the rear brake hose is too short. Can I use the brake hose from the stock Avid brakes or do I need to get a new hose. If I need to get a new hose where is a good place to buy one and how hard is it to bleed the brake?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The biggest issue is that your Avids use regular brake fluid (not "regular" but a brake fluid similar to a motorcycle, car, etc). But your Shimano setup uses Mineral Oil.

You don't want to get that brake fluid from the Avid hose into your Shimano master cylinder or caliper. IF you can flush all of the brake fluid out of the Avid hose, you theoretically would be fine. If you really want to try it (using the Avid hose) you could maybe flush it through with a brake cleaner, lacquer thinner (the ultimate degreaser in my opinion) or something of that nature. Both of those chemicals will flush the brake fluid out and they both evaporate quickly.

Not sure about a good source for hose - eBay has Clarke hose for $20 or so for 1700mm (I think).

Bleeding is easy. Especially with the mineral oil.