mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Brake idiocy. Need help!

Hi. I have just removed my bike from a box after it had been travelling for over a month. The front Avid Elixir 5 caliper was rubbing continually for some reason when it wasn't before. I know nothing about hydraulic brakes and decided to loosen the body caliper bolt next to the bleed adjust screw (?).
    This of course leaked some fluid so I quickly re-tightened it. Now when I pull the lever, fluid still squirts/dribbles out of the caliper and doesn't operate the caliper.
    Idiot!
    Anyway, can anyone tell me why it is still letting fluid out when I have re-tightened the bolt and why the lever is not activating the caliper at all? has a seal become unseated or something?
    Thanks for the help. I certainly need it!
    Neil.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    You should elaborate on where fluid is leaking from. Regardless if you think you tightened it back up properly and its still leaking, a seal is most likely damaged. Probably the gasket that seals the caliper halves. Even if something isn't damaged you need to have your brakes bled, and if your pads were in there with the leaks, you need new pads as well as the pads will be contaminated. Make sure the rotor gets fully cleaned first as well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks Kanik. Ok, I am on the steep hydraulic brake learning curve. The seal on the inside of the caliper half was damaged which is why it was leaking. I replaced this and no fluid leaks anymore. I have bled the system and replaced the pads. All seems sweet except that my new issue is sticky gaskets! I have tried to get some lube in there which has freed them up a little but the wheel still doesn't spin freely. I think I may have to dismantle the caliper and remove the pistons which is a bit of a headache!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Just toss the Elixir set in the trash bin and get a better one like Shimano SLX/XT or Hopes. It's not worth your time and money trying to fix them.