mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Brake housing wearing thru cable guides ?

My Turner RFX has the half circle / zip tie stlye guides - like many other frames. I Noticed today that the hyd. disc brake housing has wear as does where it meets the guide. There is significant wear on the rear triangle guide and brake housing where it has moves under suspension movement. I use quality zip ties and pull them tight w/ pliers before I snip the excess. What to do ? Thanks

mtbr member
    Sounds like a flaw in the frame design. My Transition blindside has a similar problem.

Really the only choices are:

1) Somehow figure out how to prevent the brake line from moving under suspension movement. Maybe wrap some electrical tape around the brake line where you zip tie it to the mount so that it is really tight and won't move.

2) Ghetto you own alternate routing. That's what some guys did with the Blindside. They got some stick on cable guides and routed the brake line along the down tube, instead of top tube.

Housing can wear into the frame pretty bad on some of my fs bikes, but can't say I've had appreciable movement/wear in the guides particularly. On my fs frames I can usually leave the zip ties just a bit loose on the front of the frame so that the swingarm movement doesn't pull on the housing/hose mounts on the swingarm. Am just pulling zip ties tight by hand and have no idea what quality the zip ties are, never thought of them that way.

I've used a variety of material over the years. Clear Park tube and tire boot adhesive patches, helicopter edge tape, electrical tape, duck tape, specific Lizard Skin carbon protection patches, miscellaneous chainstay protectors, you name it, to protect the parts of the frames where housing makes inevitable contact. Frame finish can make it difficult, like with an ano finish, to get good stickage, though so I just review occasionally how my frame protection is doing. Amazing what a bit of housing can do given some time and some frequent movement....
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

MarkyMark
    Yep. The rear triangle guides on my Blur frame were pretty worn down too. Electrical tape seems to do a good job of protecting the frame finish so I wrapped my cables in electrical tape where ever it contacts the frame, including the guides.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolbiker
    2) Ghetto you own alternate routing. That's what some guys did with the Blindside. They got some stick on cable guides and routed the brake line along the down tube, instead of top tube.
    This is probably your best bet. Routing hoses so that they don't have to change distance covered much, just bend, is the way to go.

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Pick up some PVC tape for wrapping buried pipe in the plumbing section of you hardware store. Apply the tape to the hose guide (not to the housing) and be sure to check it / replace it often enough that it's not wearing through to the metal.

If you apply the tape to the housing, the same rubbing against metal is going to continue.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

Beer swillin' rabble ridr
    Aug 2008
    I used 1/2 inch piece of windsheild washer fluid tubing and sleeved the brake cable.
    Drink beer all day