mtbr member
    Feb 2009

brake hose length

I'm curious... are there any issues in having a brake hose that's on the long side, apart from having it flap around and potentially snagging?

Having the shortest and most direct line for cables makes sense... friction etc. in the jacket. But I can't think of any major performance downside to having hydraulic hoses longer than they need be.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Hydraulic hoses are prone to swelling just as cable are prone to stretching and friction. You got the obvious answer right of the hoses potentially being snagged and being obnoxious.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Hmmm... for every potential issue with brake hoses I can think of the length is pretty much a non-factor. Hoses can indeed swell, but is 6" of additional hose really gonna make that more of an issue that it would otherwise be? In theory perhaps but in reality I imagine it will be un-noticeable. I could be wrong

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    You are probably right. However, I know the rear brake on my bike sure feel just a tiny bit different than the front--only culprit being the hose length. It is not enough to notice while riding, so who cares. I guess the point is this: why not just cut to the hose to the correct length?