Thread: brake fluid

mtbr member
    May 2007

brake fluid

Can I use any Dot 3 or Dot 4 brake fluid or does it need to be for small brake systems?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mlepito
    Can I use any Dot 3 or Dot 4 brake fluid or does it need to be for small brake systems?
    If your brakes use DOT fluid, yes you can use any Dot 3 or Dot 4. I'd use Dot 4 since it's not much more expensive.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I'm also having a hard time retracting the pistons. Even with the reservoir cover removed they won't stay all the way retracted for me to put the new pads in.

mtbr member
    Might help if you posted what brakes you have.

Typically pads have a hard time retracting if the system is overfilled. But you say you have resovior cover off, so that may not be it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    In another thread you say you have XT brakes. Shimano uses mineral oil and NOT DOT brake fluid. Don't mix the two different types.

Get mineral fluid made for brake systems and not the stuff at the drug store.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    This is on a friend's bike. He has Quad brakes. I took the cover off and pushed the pistons in which of course made fluid spray out, but then they push back out. They won't stay in.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    This is on a friend's bike. He has Quad brakes. I took the cover off and pushed the pistons in which of course made fluid spray out, but then they push back out. They won't stay in.
    If they move back out on their own, I'm guessing there is air in the system. It would compress the air when you press the pistons back.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    That would make sense. When I pulled the cover off the reservoir was only like half full. I'll bleed them and then try to retract them. God, why is something that should be so simple such a pain in the ass?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    ...God, why is something that should be so simple such a pain in the ass?
    It's because you're trying to help a friend.......no good deed goes unpunished.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Well at least if I break it (which I already did) its not mine.