Thread: brake fluid

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

brake fluid

Hey guys, I have some extra ATE blue dot4 brake fluid and I was wondering if I could use them as fluid for my avid elixir cr. thanks.

mtbr member
    Avid uses 5.1, any auto parts store has it. It isn't expensive and it is the right stuff.
    milesW

Meh.
    DOT 4 and DOT 5.1 are compatible with each other. There are some DOT 4s that outperform DOT 5.1

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    thanks guy. I would've bought the right fluid but I just had about 1/2 bottle of brake fluid left over from my car and I didn't want to waste it. Ate blue exceeds dot4 does that mean its just as good as dot5.1 or better? here is the product link
    http://www.hrpworld.com/index.cfm?fo...action=product

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Yes the ATE Superblue will work great in avids. You'll just want to make sure you flush all the old fluid out or you won't see the full benefit.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SurvivorofShalamar
    Yes the ATE Superblue will work great in avids. You'll just want to make sure you flush all the old fluid out or you won't see the full benefit.
    That's the point of the blue dye in Superblue. When the fluid coming out turns blue, you know you've flushed the system. They also make the same fluid in amber. Alternate between the 2 on fluid changes and you'll always know you've flushed the system.

Admittedly a little harder with the avid syringe method....
    Trade: My 17" c2c Fat Chance Monster Fat in Fair condition for same in 18- 19"

Meh.
    Not really. Push through completely, then follow bleed procedure.

Lots easier to find DOT 4 than 5.1 IME, too, took visits to several (paydirt on number 6 IIRC) moto & auto stores before I found any 5.1 (at Napa, house brand). It'll be DOT 4 next time.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique