Thread: Brake effort

mtbr member

Brake effort

I've decided to stay with the V-brakes on my bike ,but would like to decrease the lever effort when applying them. I have the SD5 levers set up so the pads on the SD3 brakes don't apply until half way through the throw giving me more leverage. I have Kool-STOP DUAL COMPOUND pads installed. I cleaned the rims and adjusted pad angle. But after a couple of hours of riding, my forearms are tired. Maybe it's the age factor. But I would like to get my brakes to the point where I don't have to squeeze the levers so hard.
    Do I change levers/brakes?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    These are Speed Dial levers? Adjust the cable carrier as close to the bar as possible to maximize the power. You may need to readjust the brake pads closer to the rim as more power means less cable pull.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Meh.
    Eh, I don't think that's so much the case, if you take biometrics into account. I believe that your hand can exert more force on the lever when it is about half-way through its throw.

Are you concerned with modulation? Or just outright stopping power? If you just want stopping power, set up the caliper arms super wide and use additional spacers between the pad and the caliper arm.

Try not using any (or very little) toe on the pads.

Make sure that the cables and housing are clean. I like to lube up the cables. Rock n Roll Cable Magic and Triflow both work great. Don't be stingy with it either.

Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    Eh, I don't think that's so much the case, if you take biometrics into account. I believe that your hand can exert more force on the lever when it is about half-way through its throw.

Are you concerned with modulation? Or just outright stopping power? If you just want stopping power, set up the caliper arms super wide and use additional spacers between the pad and the caliper arm.

Try not using any (or very little) toe on the pads.

Make sure that the cables and housing are clean. I like to lube up the cables. Rock n Roll Cable Magic and Triflow both work great. Don't be stingy with it either.
    Are you commenting on my reply or the OP?
    mtbtires.com

Meh.
    Both.

First part is commenting on what you said, after that is back to the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    Both.

First part is commenting on what you said, after that is back to the OP.
    Well, I agree with you take you will have more hand power with the lever closer to the bar (been setting up my brakes this way for years).

My point was that when you decrease the cable pull/increase the lever's mech advantage you may need to readjust the pads to prevent the lever from bottoming out on the bar.
    mtbtires.com

Meh.
    Oh, sorry Shiggy. I misunderstood what you had written. I read it as something completely different. My bad.