Thread: Brake Dust

mtbr member

Brake Dust

After having my current bike for more than two years, I have recently noticed brake dust collecting on my fork around the brake caliper. I have juicy 5 brakes - is this normal or is a sign that something needs to be changed? I did put new pads in a few months ago.

TLL
    mtbr member
    How can you tell the difference between brake dust and trail dust?

The amount of dust coming off discs is insignificant. Change your pads when they wear out.
    Hadley rear hub service here and here.

...idios...
    It's possible that the new pads you've fitted are a slightly softer compound than the old ones. It's even possible that the new pads aren't quite as 'grabby' as the old ones, or haven't bedded in properly, so that you're using the brake a little more than you did previously, hence the increase in dust. However, you'd do well to check that both pistons/pads are retracting fully from the rotor when the brake lever is released - excess brake dust can be a sign that of pads dragging on the rotor.

"How can you tell the difference between brake dust and trail dust?"

Brake dust is usually black, rather than shades of brown, and is only found around brakes.

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

In addition....

brake pad dust build up is not uncommon, though it's usually not that noticeable. But every vehicle of any kind that uses disc brakes, drum brakes, or even bikes with rim brakes, can have brake dust build up in areas around the brakes. Take a look at an automobile that the driver does not wash very often. You'll often see brownish black build up on the front wheels. Most folks wash their cars often enough to prevent this. But if you look you'll see a few around I'm sure. Especially cars with spoked style aluminum wheels.

Anyway, do what SteveUK recommends and check over the caliper and make sure all is well. One thing that can cause extra brake dust is if you changed pad material when you put the new pads in. If you went from a metalic pad to an ogranic pad or vise-versa it can cause some extra build up as the new pads bed in and clean the old pad material from the rotor. To prevent this I usually remove the rotor when changing from on pad material to another and scuff braking surface clean with some fine grit sand paper. This removes the old pad material from the rotor and speeds the bedding process of the new pads a bit.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Thanks for the feedback.