mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Brake dilemma: Buy a pair of XT or one Formula The One

Dear fellow riders, I have a dilemma and would appreciate your opinion very much.

I just concluded that one of my 2008 Formula The One brakes is broken (the rear one) and my dilemma is as follows: My budget is limited and I can either buy a 2011 formula The One FR to replace the broken one and keep the other brake that is working or I can afford to buy a new pair of 2012 Shimano XT brakes for the same cost.

The advantage if I go for the formula brakes is that they are awesome brakes, but the problem is that I donít know how long the other (2008) Formula The One brake will last and off course that I have two different (even though similar brakes). Formula will not continue to manufacture The One Fr so I will not be able to upgrade later unless I go for the even more expensive Formula The One 2012. Off course thereís also the option to just buy one XT brake.

Does it matter much to have different brakes?

What would you do if you were in my shoes?

Thank you very much for your support

change is good
    Sep 2004
    I'll be putting my Ones on Ebay soon - keep an eye open for them. Fricken powerful brakes. The new bike comes with XOs. The new XTs are very nice. Not as powerful, but great modulation and no rub with new pads. If it were me - XT.

mtbr member
    What exactly broke? There are lots of spares and small parts available. You might be able to rebuild your rear brake for much less than the price of a new set.

The One/Mega (2008-2009) Service Parts
    Loud hubs save lives. http://about.me/splat/

bt
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I may be interested in your old formula one brakes. I need spare parts for mine from time to time. let me know if you want to sell.