mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Brake decisions Help needed.

I built up an all mountain bike this fall and am unsure of what to do for brakes. It currently sits with Juicy 3s on it, but I ran it with Hayes HFX9 10th anniversary brakes as well. The J3s don't seem to have much modulation. I've ridden J5s before and they seemed a little too much like an on off switch. The 9s have good modulation but lack a bit of power. I also have a set of BB7s I could run but I'm not to keen on the amount of force it takes to get them to stop. I'd like to keep it simple and use one of the brakes I have, but would be willing to upgrade if I could find the right price. I weigh in right at 200lbs and ride mostly technical trails and have no problem taking decent size drops and I love to let the bike run out hard on the downhills so power is an obvious concern. Oh and I run an 185 rotor up front and a 160 in the rear.
    I Ride Bikes.

banned
    Formulas, Hope M4's, Maggie Louises can fit the bill for riding outside of XC. With Formula, you can use the rotors you have and the adapters and just get the brakes and levers. Whether it's for you, is a different issue. I give Hope the nod for modulation, overall performance, and maintenance ease.

You can also do well with various shimano brakes as well, which are available at a steal, such as the LX, XT, Saint SLX level group stuff. No rotors, again.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Formulas, Hope M4's, Maggie Louises can fit the bill for riding outside of XC. With Formula, you can use the rotors you have and the adapters and just get the brakes and levers. Whether it's for you, is a different issue. I give Hope the nod for modulation, overall performance, and maintenance ease.

You can also do well with various shimano brakes as well, which are available at a steal, such as the LX, XT, Saint SLX level group stuff. No rotors, again.

I'm pretty sure I can pick up a set of LXs at a good price, but was hoping to stay away from shimano. This bike is like my anti shimano bike, right now there is not a shimano piece on it.
    I Ride Bikes.

banned
    A combo that works well, and is what my gf uses, and several others on the forums, is an M4 front, with Mini rear. Works great, and I used the combo as well at one time.

All depends on how much you're willing to pay and search for good deals.

banned
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    A combo that works well, and is what my gf uses, and several others on the forums, is an M4 front, with Mini rear. Works great, and I used the combo as well at one time.

All depends on how much you're willing to pay and search for good deals.
    NOW THATS A COOL COMBO !!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Groffball
    I also have a set of BB7s I could run but I'm not to keen on the amount of force it takes to get them to stop.
    The Avid BB7, installed and adjusted correctly, good housings, levers and cable run, is a one finger brake system even in the steepest sections.
    You should check your BB7 setup before buying other stuff!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I had completely different expeience than you. Hayes Nines were completely on/off for me, so much so it threw me over the bars on more than one occasion. Juicy 7s don't have excellent modulation but it is good for me and I don't have a problem with them.

Considered Hayes Strokers? Trails,not Rydes. My buddy has a set and they are nice, good modulation and plenty of power. I like them so much they're going to be on my next bike instead of Juicys. Cheaper than Hopes/Formulas to boot

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Renovatio
    I had completely different expeience than you. Hayes Nines were completely on/off for me, so much so it threw me over the bars on more than one occasion. Juicy 7s don't have excellent modulation but it is good for me and I don't have a problem with them.

Considered Hayes Strokers? Trails,not Rydes. My buddy has a set and they are nice, good modulation and plenty of power. I like them so much they're going to be on my next bike instead of Juicys. Cheaper than Hopes/Formulas to boot

I've been thinking about the Strokers, but havn't heard much first had about them. I may end up giving them a try. I found some sweet deals on Juicy 5s and 7s, but I just don't see how the different juicy brakes can be that much different.
    I Ride Bikes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    To quote Will, who knows a **** ton about brakes.

Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    The hose on the J5 has a banjo on one end,. The J3 uses inline fittings at both ends.

The caliper casting on the J3 is cheaper. The lever no longer has the break away feature. The MC is different. The lever doesn't have the 2-piece clamp. The J5 is bled with DOT 5.1 fluid (the J3 can be too).

The J5 generally feels and performs better.
    Basically, J3s are pretty bottom of the barrel, deisgned similar to the J5s and J7s but without as many adjustments and made from cheaper parts...no bueno.. The difference between J5s and J7s is a little bling red knob that adjusts free stroke. I don't find it particularly useful but it can be used to even out the front and rear levels so you get the same pull distance on each--which is nice imo.

Avid's Customer support isn't half bad either.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Renovatio
    To quote Will, who knows a **** ton about brakes.

Basically, J3s are pretty bottom of the barrel, deisgned similar to the J5s and J7s but without as many adjustments and made from cheaper parts...no bueno.. The difference between J5s and J7s is a little bling red knob that adjusts free stroke. I don't find it particularly useful but it can be used to even out the front and rear levels so you get the same pull distance on each--which is nice imo.

Avid's Customer support isn't half bad either.
    So your saying the J5s would probably due the job I need them to do?

I actually just ordered up a set of J7s, so I'm hoping they work for me, couldn't pass up the deal
    Last edited by Groffball; 01-04-2009 at 08:40 AM.
    I Ride Bikes.