mtbr member
    Aug 2010

brake compatibilty for a fargo

I was wondering if there would by any compatibility issues with hopes floating rotors with the combination of a TI Fargo with a niner carbon fork or a rocksox sid fork with easton haven wheels and 180mm rotor in the front and 160 mm rotor in the rear and some bb7 calipers?

Never enough time to ride
    Quote Originally Posted by efraguiluz View Post
    I was wondering if there would by any compatibility issues with hopes floating rotors with the combination of a TI Fargo with a niner carbon fork or a rocksox sid fork with easton haven wheels and 180mm rotor in the front and 160 mm rotor in the rear and some bb7 calipers?
    Issues you may run into, braking track width on the rotors, and contact between the carrier rivets and the tabs on the bottom of the brake pad backing plate.

The first issue, brake track/pad width is easy to avoid, do your homework. Find a Hope floater and measure the width of the braking track with a caliper, then measure the width of the pad surface on a set of bb7 pads. If the braking track on the rotor is at least as wide as the pad surface width you're good to go. If the pad width is much more than .5mm wider than the braking track you'll likely have issues. If I remember correctly, I don't think this is an issue with Hope rotors and Avid brakes, however it's better to check it than spend the money on the components and find out that it is.

The second is pretty easy as well. Once everything is installed check it. If the tabs make contact with the rivets or any part of the carrier simply cut the offending tab off. Makes install and removal of the pads a bit more of a pain, but not that big of a deal. This is not an uncommon problem with Avid bottom loading brake pads and 2 piece rotors. But the fix is simple.

The only other thing you need to be aware of is rotor size. Avid brakes older than 2012 came with 185mm rotors. New 2012 Avid brakes come with 180s for the up size rotor. This DOES make a difference. Hope Floaters are available in 185 and 180mm. Just make sure you get the rotor size that matches. Or if you are using a set of existing brakes but can only get the 180 rotor, make sure you get a new model 180mm adapter. Avid adapters are marked with the size rotor they're meant for.

Like I said, do your homework and make sure of your rotor size and I don't think you'll have any issues otherwise.

Good Dirt
    Get out and ride!

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    Oops! Sorry my kid was logged in and I didn't notice it until I posted the above. I actually wrote the previous post. Sorry.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    squash
    thanx for the help basically what ur saying is that the braking surface of the rotor has to be as wide or wider then the width of avids bb7 brake pads? i have also contacted hope so that i get the info on the brake rotor i can go to an rei to get the pads

which tabs are you talking about on the the one the post mount to is adapter?

and as far as the sizes go i plan on running the 180 and 160 in the rear so that i can use standard brake adapters

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    "thanx for the help basically what ur saying is that the braking surface of the rotor has to be as wide or wider then the width of avids bb7 brake pads? i have also contacted hope so that i get the info on the brake rotor i can go to an rei to get the pads"

Pretty much.

"which tabs are you talking about on the the one the post mount to is adapter?"

The Avid bottom load brakes like the BB7 have two tabs on the bottom of the brake pads. They are part of the backing plate and help with install and removal of the pads. Depending on the rotor, one or the other of the tabs may make contact with the alloy carrier of a two piece rotor once every thing is put together. If this occurs simply clip off the offending tab.

"and as far as the sizes go i plan on running the 180 and 160 in the rear so that i can use standard brake adapters"

Sounds good. Have fun with the Fargo!
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"