mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Brake Comparison-Need Help :)

Hey, I'm looking at buying a new bike (just getting into MB, really excited) and could use some help comparing components. I'm stuck between 2 bikes at around ~700, trying to figure out what's going to be the best deal.

the first one comes stock with:

Shimano BR-M485 w/ 160mm rotors

while the second has:

Avid BB5 Mechanical Discs

Keep in mind, I'm a newbie, so don't hesitate to explain anything

Thanks!

I am a pathetic rider...
    Sep 2007
    well, the shimano's look to me like bottom of the barrel hydraulics, which are halfway decent, but decent mechs like the BB5's will do just as well and even better when properly setup. At this point it isn't so much a matter of performance as preference. If you like to tinker and fiddle to get the maximum performance from your ride, then go with the BB5's, if you like to set it and forget it and just deal with the performance your getting, then go for the Shimano's. Lever feel is also different, it is hard to describe, try demoing both of the bikes and see which has a better feel at teh lever. oh, and BB5's tend to be more idiot proof, so if you truly are a beginner and have little to no mechanical experience, go with those.
    Save the Earth, Ride a Cyclist

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Be aware that there have been problems with the Shimano BR-M485: http://bike-rack.com/page.cfm?pageID=394

cougarbait
    I have bb5 on my 09 rockhopper comp disc and i want to upgrade to bb7...

sweet!

Go with the Hydros!

I ran bb5 brakes in my bike for 2 years, they are the cream of the crop for mech. disc brakes (I don't regard the bb7 to be a big upgrade, they are just easier to adjust) however they are sensitive to adjustment, levers, cables, and housing used. I had to adjust my brakes every couple rides, and since I had to adjust the brakes so often I found it hard to get a consistent feel and performance from them. I have since switched to Avid juicy 5 hydraullic brakes and have never looked back. Hydraullic brakes are set and forget, they are smoother they modulate better, and they stop faster.
    My advise is to go with the hydraullic set-up, besides Shimano generally dosn't make junk, either way I think you will be happy.
    Last edited by Diamondhead; 11-07-2008 at 04:15 PM.
    "It's a Sledgehamer" "Dang! You got shocks, pegs...lucky! " Napoleon Dynamite & Pedro Sanchez