Thread: Brake Choices

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Brake Choices

I work at one of my LBS and I am going to buy new brakes. Currently my Trek 2009 6700 came with Avid Juicy 3's. I want a very powerful brake, I used to be able to do endo's on my bikes with v-brakes but with Juicy 3's I can not. So I want something that will give me the power to do so and still work with the 2009 Trek 6700. The following companies I can order from and get employee purchase from:

Avid
    Shimano
    Hayes
    Hope
    Formula
    Magura

Any suggestions?
    [SIZE="2"]2009 Trek 6700D [/SIZE]

...idios...
    Type of riding? Bike (and fork)? How much do you weigh? Can nobody in the shop you're somehow employed give you a clue?

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    The last three on your list, all have the power you are asking for. I'd go with the Magura Marta SL, if you ride XC- or lots of trails. The Maguras stop with tons of modulation, power, and don't require corrosive DoT 4 brake fluid, like the others do. Employee discounts always help!
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Everyone I work with has their own idea to the best brakes, so I thought I would post.
    I ride mostly singletrack/ XC. I am 6"1' and weigh 160lbs. The fork on my bike is a RockShox Recon SL 100mm. I might eventually upgrade but not now.
    Other specs:http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...6_series/6700/

And I would like something that I can put Goodridge brake lines on.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

How long and how many rides....

do you have on the bike? Might be a simple matter of beak in, i.e. bedding in the pads to the rotor. Most disc brakes do require a break in period before you'll see peak braking performance. Usually around 5 or 10 rides depending on the length of the rides. It also might be a simple matter of going one rotor size up on the front. Your bike comes speced with 160mm front and rear. Most riders will usually go one up on the front to increase the power of the front brake. You usually don't need the extra in the rear. Going one rotor size up tends to equalize the brakes better, i.e. for a given lever pull the rear is less likely to lock up, and you have the extra power where you need it. So it may be as easy as going to a 185mm rotor up front.

Your call, if you really want to upgrade the brakes then go for it. But I'd try the 185mm front rotor first. You might be surprised.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

banned
    Since I still know nothing about the OP, I will recommend those Taiwanese hydraulics I know nothing about as well. I don't hear anything good or bad about them, so they might fit the OP's needs...or not, I don't know.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I had the J3's on my EX7, ended up putting a 203 on the front to get any power out of them but still blew some turns that I should have been able to make. Just upgraded to K24's w/ 160's. Better modulation and power than the J3's. Took longer to break in but worth the wait.

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Chicks dig Formulas I have found

banned
    Where did you find them?

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Where did you find them?
    at the intersection of hollywood and vine

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Squash
    Might be a simple matter of beak in, i.e. bedding in the pads to the rotor. Most disc brakes do require a break in period before you'll see peak braking performance. Usually around 5 or 10 rides depending on the length of the rides. It also might be a simple matter of going one rotor size up on the front.

But I'd try the 185mm front rotor first. You might be surprised.

Good Dirt
    I have had the bike for 3 months with about 400 miles on it. I never thought of just trying a bigger rotor in the front.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I have been thinking about Magura Gustav, is that a nice brake with lots of stopping power.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I guess there's something wrong on your brakes. May be contaminated pads or something.
    But if you can't even do an endo, they are not working right. Have them checked by your LBS before buying new ones.

...idios...
    "I have been thinking about Magura Gustav, is that a nice brake with lots of stopping power."

Are you for real?

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    "I have been thinking about Magura Gustav, is that a nice brake with lots of stopping power."

Are you for real?
    Is that one of the best I can get? I have heard it has lots of stopping power but I am only familiar with Avid and Shimano products.