Thread: Brake choices

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Brake choices

I got my bike late in the season sept. It's a '06 K2 ZED 4.0 with the hayes Sole Hydros on it. having not been in mountain bikeing for a while i bougth this bike for two reasons it felt amazing for my price range. was a left of and i got a good deal on it, i think anyway. but i can not stand the brakes. they are not bled right. ive done my research and now comes this step in my decesion. I am looking to you all for suggestions. I pondered bleeding them but the guy i bought the bike from said they had to be bled alot. i was thinking of replacing them with the AVID BB7's is this a good choice? i live in Southern maine and when lookign for a bleed kit i called a lot of shops and got laughed at and told they had no idea Bikes Came with Hydros. so if i brake a lever im gonna be screwed with hydro's. looking for any and all opnions on this topic. thanks alot for all help in advance

-Nick

Double-metric mtb man
    The Soles are only a single piston caliper...they are basically hydraulic versions of the BB7's...so only one pad will move when you squeeze the lever. If the brakes have been bled a lot, it tells me one (or more) of a few things is happening:

First, the person bleeding them didn't know what he was doing. Second, there is a loose fitting or hole in the system allowing air in. Third, the fixed pad is not adjusted right and the brakes are losing a lot of power, the lever is coming almost all the way to the bar and the brakes feel bad.

Now assuming the guy who bled them had half a clue and that the bike is in good shape (i.e. nothing that should be letting tons of air into the system), I'd start with adjusting the fixed pads. As that pad doesn't move, it needs to be adjusted regularly or the poor braking characteristics will keep coming back. Two piston calipers are generally self-adjusting and take care of this for you, but single piston (hydraulic) or cable disc brakes don't.

Start there and see if that helps.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    BB7s are a good and cheap alternative... IF you are bent on giving up on your current brakes. Sole's aren't that good to begin with, but there may be something to gain by making sure they're bled properly.

wyrd bi ful rd
    Try some adjustment first before deciding to change the brakes ... aligned the rotor in the middle of the caliper, not the pads. Then adjust the non-moving piston (which one is it, it will be the one with the adjusting hex nut on the other side) such that it just clears the rotor. If you decide to remove the pads, remember not to pull on the levers!!!

The attached manual has all the instructions incl bleeding instructions but only do that if you know that it needs to be bled.
    http://www.hayesdiscbrake.com/pdf/SO...WebEnglish.pdf

Soles do not feel that firm so there is only so much that you can do with it. I had it on my first bike and sold it after 2 months ... got myself some XTs and never looked back

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    well thanks for the help ill try that first.