mtbr member

Brake check advice

I'm planning on a big ride in a couple weeks - 110 miles on the White Rim in Utah. I was riding yesterday and a friends Juicy's blew out unexpectedly and I want to make sure this doesn't happen on such a big ride.

My brakes (Juicy 7s) are working great, but I want to see if there is anything I should check prior to the ride to make sure they are doing ok. I know to check the pads to make sure they are not worn, but is there anything else that might reveal a potential problem?

mtbr member
    I would say that if they are working fine then don't mess with them, it doesn't take much to get Avid juicys to not work fine.

Take some new pads with you just in case and you should be fine.

When you say your friends "blew out"could you give details.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Here are a few things....

Check the brake lines, inspect for abrasion, kinks, etc. And don't neglect to check the attachment points at the master cylinder and caliper. Look for any fluid leakage etc.

Check the calipers, operate the brakes and make sure both pads are moving as they should, evenly and smoothly.

Check the pads for wear. If they're in good shape leave em in. But as suggested take an extra set of pads for both brakes just in case.

Check the master cylinder for leaks, smooth lever movement etc.

And finally check all mounting hardware for torque. Make sure eveything is tight as it should be, and don't forget to check the rotor bolts.

That's about it. If they are working fine otherwise I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Nice. Thanks for the tips!