mtbr member
    Sep 2018

Brake calipers mounted too high?

I purchased a used 2012 Kona Unit recently. The 2012 Unit originally came with mechanical brakes but the previous owner, just prior to selling me the bike, swapped them over to hydraulics (Shimamo M445 levers, M447 calipers).

You can see in the photo that the brake pads don't contact very low on the rotors. Are the calipers mounted too high? This is the same for both front and rear.

Front is 180mm rotor with a 20mm IS to post adaptor. Rear is 160mm rotor with a 20mm IS to post adaptor.

From the wear marks on the rotors it looks like the previous mechanical brakes may have been mounted lower and the pads more fully contacting the rotor?

Does this have something to do with the mounting bolts that are being used? Are they correct for the M447 calipers?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Brake calipers mounted too high?-img_2433.jpg  

Brake calipers mounted too high?-img_2434.jpg  

Your pads should contact the rotor dead nuts in the middle. The previous owner put together a Heinz 57 variety of parts, and they don't fit right. The first step would be to take out those Avid washers and see how it all fits together. You're going to have a ridge on the pads, which you might be able to remove by rubbing them against sandpaper placed on a flat surface.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Thanks, should both silver and rubber washers be removed? And then see how it all fits with just the mounting bolts?

Can I get proper Shimano replacement mounting hardware?

mtbr member
    Those should be the right adapters and should fit with out spacers, but who knows if those are the right bolts, you may need shorter bolts if you take out the spacers.

B A N N E D
    Apr 2007
    One flat washer between the bolt head and the top of caliper is all that's needed.

When the silver cup and cone (Avid CPS) washers are removed, you will will need bolts that are 10mm shorter.

The previous mechanical brakes must of been Avid BB5's or BB7's which need the cup and cone washers beneath the caliper for correct spacing, Shimano and other brands of brakes don't need extra washers beneath the caliper for correct spacing.

mtbr member
    Remove the washers between the caliper mounting tabs and the adapter. The washers on top of the mounting tabs can remain in the same order as pictured, but are not needed unless the screws are too long. The washers under the tabs are for a different type of caliper.
    Do the math.

damned rocks...
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    Remove the washers between the caliper mounting tabs and the adapter. The washers on top of the mounting tabs can remain in the same order as pictured, but are not needed unless the screws are too long. The washers under the tabs are for a different type of caliper.
    Exactly this ^.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Thanks guys! I removed the extra washers and the pads now line up perfectly with the rotor.

The IS adaptors are threaded through so I could probably just 30mm bolts but I think I will pick up some M6 x 20mm socket head cap screws tomorrow.

Might grab new brake pads as well to start fresh.