mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Brake Cable Compression Fitting Parts

I have an hayes hfx-9. I want to shorten the lines by 4 inches for a new bike I am building up. I cannot find the barbed fitting and compresion nut at any LBS. They can order but they aren't to confident. I was wondering if motorcycle or auto shops might have fitttings that are compatable. Waiting a week and driving across town is what I am trying to avoid. Online is okay but I like to verify I am buying the right thing.

Thanks for any help.

mtbr member
    dunno about hayes, but shimano and magura calper threads are close but slightly different, it would suck if you destroyed your caliper. 4 inches doesnt sound like much, does it really matter?

wayne
    89 Univega HT -???-
    92 Specd SJ HT M2 -stolen-
    92 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    94 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    97 Klien Mantra -sold-
    01 Specd enduro FSR
    02 Specd enduro FSR -sold-
    04 Specd stumpjumper FSR
    05 Specd enduro FSR Sworks

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Montster
    I have an hayes hfx-9. I want to shorten the lines by 4 inches for a new bike I am building up. I cannot find the barbed fitting and compresion nut at any LBS. They can order but they aren't to confident. I was wondering if motorcycle or auto shops might have fitttings that are compatable. Waiting a week and driving across town is what I am trying to avoid. Online is okay but I like to verify I am buying the right thing.

Thanks for any help.
    The hfx9 uses a fixed/crimped fitting at the caliper end of the hose, so you should shorten the lever/master cylinder end (you may already know that). According to the manual, the hfx9 uses the gold compression bushing, which most shops should have in stock. The barb should be re-usable if it's not damaged.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    aaahhg, double post.
    Last edited by fsrxc; 03-08-2005 at 12:48 PM.

I work in .001 tolerances

Idea! Be Carefull!

Use caution when trying to cut/unhook the hose from the master cylinder. The barbed fitting is the smallest, most fragile piece I've ever seen on a bike. I made the mistake of breaking mine off when I was unhooking the hose. Once it is broken you need a whole new master cylinder.
    Check out www.universalcycles.com, under hayes brake parts, they have good pictures of the fittings you will need, so there is no guessing what you are buying.
    Hope this helps

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by HomegrownMN
    Use caution when trying to cut/unhook the hose from the master cylinder. The barbed fitting is the smallest, most fragile piece I've ever seen on a bike. I made the mistake of breaking mine off when I was unhooking the hose. Once it is broken you need a whole new master cylinder.
    Check out www.universalcycles.com, under hayes brake parts, they have good pictures of the fittings you will need, so there is no guessing what you are buying.
    Hope this helps
    Aren't you talking about Mag levers? The original post says "I have an hayes hfx-9"...