Evil Genius

Brake Booster for Avid Arch Rivals? Avid Mechs?

I have a '99 Cannondale F1000 with Avis Arch Rival 50's, that in my opinion, rock. I think I've loosed a few fillings over the years. I also own '99 Trek 9.9 Pro Issue OCLV. (It was originally a '93 9800 OCLV but the frame was replaced by Trek when I cracked it. Thanks Trek!) My original 9800 had canti's and I like the Avid's so much I bought a set for my OCLV. Problem is the rear carbon seat says flex like an oily Arnold at the Mr. Universe. I can't use discs (at least in the rear) because the frame doesn't have disc tabs. Which brake booster do you suggest? Also the Arch rivals come with some sort of arch above the brake arms. Will a brake booster fit over the arches? Why do brake boosters have slots where they fit over the brake bosses, instead of regular circles? What are the arches in the Arch Rivals for? Does anyone suggest the Avid Ball Bearing Mech's for the front end? It IS my lightweight XC bike, and I live in the midwest, although I'll be riding in Arzona in the Sedona area occasionally. (The disc will fit into my replacement RS Duke Race disc tabs.) What's the best way about building up a disc wheel? Can I use my old rim and spokes and just get a disc hub and the disc brake itself? Do I need new spokes and rims? (I'm trying to save for a Blur, and a buddy uses this bike, I need a training partner!) Sorry about the million questions, but anything you can answer will help immensely! Thanks!

Bike-A-Saurus Rex

mtbr member
    Jeez, dude....think about splitting your questions up so people can try to help out or pontificate more easily...

--the arches on your Avids are not brake boosters, but rather for maintaining the angle of the brake pad and centering of the brakes.

--I don't know if a booster will clear the brakes

--the Salsa booster is excellent.

--brake boosters have slots so they can accomodate bikes with different width/placement of the brake bosses.

--everyone suggests the Avid Mechanicals. They're excellent.

--No, you cannot reuse your old spokes to build up a new wheel. Well, you can, but should not. Just buy a clearance disc wheelset and save the "extra" rear wheel for a rainy day.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by EBasil
    Jeez, dude....think about splitting your questions up so people can try to help out or pontificate more easily...

--the arches on your Avids are not brake boosters, but rather for maintaining the angle of the brake pad and centering of the brakes.

--I don't know if a booster will clear the brakes

--the Salsa booster is excellent.

--brake boosters have slots so they can accomodate bikes with different width/placement of the brake bosses.

--everyone suggests the Avid Mechanicals. They're excellent.

--No, you cannot reuse your old spokes to build up a new wheel. Well, you can, but should not. Just buy a clearance disc wheelset and save the "extra" rear wheel for a rainy day.
    Plus, if you saving for a new bike you are better off not upgrading your current bike. Just fix things as they break/wear out.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    If but anything too add. I second the salsa`s. Made my schwinn epicenter seatstays real tight. i would figure that you could use it with your arch`s. There is a 3/8 -1/2 inch space between the front of my XT`s and the back of the arch de triumph....
    A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five.
    -Groucho Marx

Evil Genius

Thanks...

Thanks for all the advice. I appreciate it. There is a brake booster for sale on Ebay that has a spacer that I think would fit so that the brake booster would clear the alignment arches. Here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

Do other new arches have such mounting hardware? I haven't seen any reviews on this arch. Anyone try it?

I assume because there is a slot in the arch that bolt pressure holding the booster against the brake bosses are what keep the seat stay from flexing. I thought that standard sizing would alleviate that job (meaning pressure) from the bolts, and put it onto the bosses but I'm probably just overanylyzing.

I have never ridden discs (short of a parking lot test ride) but everyone raves about them and I'm sure there is a reason. I liked a Blur I saw on Ebay (Man I'm hesitant to put this link in, it'll drive up the price.) That link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWA:IT

But I have a fantastic LBS that has been great to me over the years. I almost bad not buying the same model from them. They will pretty much custom fit the parts I want and have good prices. www.rbikes.com Would like to test drive all the different forks and brakes. I think I'm gonna have to make some new frinds and ride their bikes. Know any other ways I can ride a bike hard? Thanks again for the advice.

Bike-o-saurus

QUOTE=GhstRydrX]If but anything too add. I second the salsa`s. Made my schwinn epicenter seatstays real tight. i would figure that you could use it with your arch`s. There is a 3/8 -1/2 inch space between the front of my XT`s and the back of the arch de triumph....[/QUOTE]