Wandering not Lost

Brake Bleed Kit?

ok ...searching for the shimano bleed kit that used the clamp like device to go over the resvoir......

I have only seen it in shops ...anyone have a line on the item?

thanks in advance

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    it is way too expensive... you can do it right with 2 syringes from the drug store.. no problem at all.. one pushes oil from the caliper..the other sucks oil from the reservoir to keep it from overflowing... (a lot faster if you have a helper )

Meh.
    Psssh, our shop doesn't even have the resi clamp. I had to do 3 sets of Shimano brakes this weekend, and didn't have anybody to help. So I just opened up the resi, topped it off, squeezed the lever, opened the bleed nipple, watched the air come out, closed the bleed nipple, topped off the resi, and repeated. It would take a few minutes per brake, but the results were good, so whatever.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Don't need the special tools for this

I have bled them using the Shimano bleed tool kit, save your money. As suggested above use a syringe to force fluid from the caliper into the reservoir (reverse bleed). If you have the caliper at the lowest point and the hose vertical up to the lever it goes very quickly. It is easiest to do this by mounting the lever (reservoir) on a tube held in a work stand with the caliper essentially directly below it. It still helps to have 2 people but can be done by one by using a rubber band to depress the lever.

Having used both sets of these "tools" the syringe is much cheaper and provides the same result.

No Tail-Just a Nub

hose/syringe size? buys on mineral oil?

I'm just getting equiped to take care of my XTR's...going with a drug store syringe, what size are we talking about (I'm thinking about how the syringe and the nipple hook-up). Hose needed (and if so, what size)?

The more specific details, the less I'll be screwing up and taking more thread space...thanks!

Oh yea...the best (cheapest) place to get shimano mineral oil?