Bite Me.

Brake bleed home

I have a set of the Hayes HFX mags that I think are due for a bleed. They still work fine but haven't had a fluid change in 2 seasons. I reviewed the manual and the whole process just looks like a royal pain, with lots of opportunity for spilled DOT fluid. I'm no slouch with a wrench but I've never done a bleed and fluid change before. My LBS mechanic will do the whole ordeal for $20. Should I just have him do it or try it myself? If you suggest that I try it, any tips or advice on how best to proceed? I have Hayes' bleed kit and a good work stand and all the necessary tools - thanks for any input.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

hayes bleeding

IMHO, Hayes are very easy to bleed. Done carefully, you will not spill a drop of fluid. If you do it yourself, I'd recommend using a big syinge instead of the Hayes bottle that comes with their "kit".

There is always the possibility of error, if you have a good mechanic and do not want to do it yourself for whatever reason, there is nothing wrong with that. $20 is a very fair pice for bleeding a pair of brakes.
    [SIZE=1]Don't believe everything that you think.[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

It's pretty easy

The very first time I did it I spilled a little fluid. I just did it again a couple of days ago with a syringe like (Mr. Beans suggested) and no spillage. If you have a work stand it's real easy. I used this as a guide...

http://www.pinkbike.com/modules/news...leview&id=1972

The container I used for the overflow was an empty Gatorade bottle with a wire coathanger. Wrap the hanger around the mouth of the Gatorade bottle and then wrap the other end around the brake lever. I used some tape to secure the overflow hose to the inside of the gatorade bottle. The whole process took about 15-20mins.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by frank n. beans
    IMHO, Hayes are very easy to bleed. Done carefully, you will not spill a drop of fluid. If you do it yourself, I'd recommend using a big syinge instead of the Hayes bottle that comes with their "kit".

There is always the possibility of error, if you have a good mechanic and do not want to do it yourself for whatever reason, there is nothing wrong with that. $20 is a very fair pice for bleeding a pair of brakes.
    Like Fn'B's said, the Hayes brakes are relativily easy. If you NEVER plan on working on your brakes yourself, you can skip the learning experience. I just find it much more convienient and satisying to work on my ride myself. It may seem a little cumbersome the 1st. time you do the bleed but after that, it is all of a 15 - 20 minute process. I just got done installing a ride kit, verified SPV operation and did a semi-bath change on my Black Platinum forks. Spent a day or so going over the pictorial diagrams, the on-line maintenance manual and rounding up the necessary parts. After a couple of hours, I had it all put back together, it really was a very simple project.
    Another day in paradise!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Also, run to the local animal feed store and pick up a syringe. It works a lot better than the little bottle.

Bite Me.
    Thanks guys, I think I'll give it a whirl. The syringe idea looks like it will be way easier than the little squeeze bottle. I just need to find a place to pick one up. That article link was really helpful.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells