mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Listen! Brake advice - upgrade and installation

So I have an old bike with a pair of Hayes Soles, by all accounts a terrible braking system. They really are quite bad, noisy and slow to stop.

I've decided on upgrading the front brake to a 2012 XT. I mainly ride on the street but I would like good stopping power for safety reasons, such as when a car pulls out on me.

Are these brakes overkill?

My second question is this - the website I'm looking at is selling "RH front" and "LH front". Is this the side which the disc brake is on, or the side of the handle bar the front brake is operated on? I use the right hand for my front brake, so should I buy "RH front"? Probably an obvious question but I want to know before I drop the cash.

Final question, would it be overly difficult for me to install these on my own with just a few alan keys and the internet? is it a job better left to the pros? I have no experience

mtbr member
    "RH front" and "LH front" refers to what side of your handle bar the lever has to be installed on. Other countries mount brakes differently to the US.

"RH front" means front brake caliper (shorter hose, rear brakes come with a longer hose) and lever mounts on the right of your bars.
    Last edited by mitzikatzi; 09-09-2012 at 06:59 AM.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    XT are great brakes. If your on a budget new models 2012 or 2013 model SLX or Deore will more than likely keep you happy. If you need greater stopping power a larger disc eg 180/185mm will give you more stopping power than a 160mm disc.

I think it is easy to instal brakes. Trimming hose lengths are little more complex but still not too hard.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    For mostly road riding, I think the SLX brakes are more than enough. The XT's are fantastic, but VERY powerful and probably more than you really need.
    "Got everything you need?"