Thread: Brake advice

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Brake advice

Not ridden my bike in around 6 months, i got it out of the shed and the little bleed plug had fallen out of my hayes hfx 9 rear master cylinder.

Ordered a new one but realised the diaphragm was also ruined, so I ordered a new diaphragm kit. Upon installing it I managed to strip the thread that holds the reservoir cover on.

Which part would I need to buy in order to get my brake working again. (Cant post links)

And would i need to swap all the internals over, or should I use this as a sign and upgrade it ? I have been reading and a lot of people dislike the hfx 9's. Tbh i don't ride as much nor as hard as I used to but i don't want to be wasting money on the hfx 9 if i can have something else for not a lot more ?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    It's probably not much more after you price out all of those parts vs what it costs to just get a new brake. I needed about $45-50 worth of parts for mine so I scrapped them and picked up elixer 5 for $70

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thats the way i was looking at it, i would probably want to stick to hayes but need something that works with my 8" rotors.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Everything should as long as you have the correct sized adapter for it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    So any hayes caliper will work with my 8" rotor ? The adapter is already fitted for 8" rotors as thats my current set up.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Yeah as far as I know it will. Usually when you order the caliper it's te same part number only difference is the rotor size and adapter

Bike to the Bone...
    I also think that you can use a non-hayes brake on your rotors.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rzozaya1969 View Post
    I also think that you can use a non-hayes brake on your rotors.
    I forgot about this..and wan't to get back on the bike to shift some weight.

Going to ditch the hayes system and buy a hope system, can anybody recommend one for about 150 ? Need one that will work with my existing 8" hayes rotor (only changing the rear caliper/lever)