Thread: Brake Advice

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Brake Advice

I have an older set of Hope M4 Monos, which have been adequate for my riding which is mostly XC.

These brakes need new pads, the rotors are warped, and they front needs to be rebuild (I have the kit). Got me to thinking whether to upgraded and sell these as I'm not really needing a 4 piston caliper.

Things that I really like about the Hopes, rebuilding is pretty easy and I have done it a few times. Bleeding is simple, no "kits" required (hose and bottle to dump stuff in).

This particular bike has now been converted to a rigid single speed setup. The front and rear mounts are both IS.

Are the newer brakes that much better? I Anyone still make brakes that are for IS mounts or just go with adapters.

Thanks
    Last edited by TX_CLG; 02-28-2012 at 01:23 PM.

Ride the dream
    It'll be almost purely adapters now.

Are the calipers both IS mount?
    Not so important on the rear (most frames are still IS on the rear, though post is creeping in), but as forks are tending to be postmount more and more, you may find that this impacts on the value of your brakes - aside from anything else, they may be looked upon at as if they were older than they really are.

If part of the upgrade cost includes selling the old ones, you may find that their value is so low (relative to what it'd cost to get something better) that it just isn't worth it.

Personally, if they're a brake that you like, have found reliable, are experienced in servicing and can still easily find replacement pads and parts for then I'd probably just keep them going.

LightJunction.com
    Quote Originally Posted by EnglishT View Post
    If part of the upgrade cost includes selling the old ones, you may find that their value is so low (relative to what it'd cost to get something better) that it just isn't worth it.

Personally, if they're a brake that you like, have found reliable, are experienced in servicing and can still easily find replacement pads and parts for then I'd probably just keep them going.
    Agreed. Selling bike parts can be a pain, and you'll never get out of them what you think they're worth. If they still work after you overhaul them and you're happy with the functionality, I say keep 'em. If you're not as concerned with cost and want to upgrade to something newer, Formula released the R1 this year with oval pistons. Gives you the power of a 4-piston with the weight and simplicity of a 2-piston brake. Plus they've got a quick-release hose kit available. How awesome is that?
    We sell quality bike headlights and flashlights.
    www.LightJunction.com

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    what those 2 said... they work,.. keep um, it's not like your going to really be "upgrading" those are pretty nice brakes already
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Thanks. Wouldn't you know it, when I was digging through the parts bin for the caliper rebuild kit,I found two new sets of pads. So I rebuild the front caliper (if you need to do this, great help on the web and my favorite tool for this is a dental pick) and installed new pads. Bleed front and back in about ten minutes and away I go.

So other than a bit of squealing from the new pads that haven't been bedded in yet, looks like I'm good for a while.

LightJunction.com
    Right on. Those are really nice brakes. I'd ride the heck out of them if it were up to me. Glad you got it sorted out.
    We sell quality bike headlights and flashlights.
    www.LightJunction.com