Thread: Brake Advice

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Brake Advice

I'm looking to get a new set of brakes this fall. I've been scouting around and there are two models I'm interested in so I thought i would consult the advice here.

I'm looking at the Avid Juicy Ultimates and the Avid Elixir CR's. Can anybody comment on the performance of either of these models?

I know the ultimates are no longer going to be made, so that could be one of the negatives associated with them, but I know performace wise most people that have them, love them.

Seems Avid is replacing the Juicy line the Elixir line.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

I'd go with the Elixirs....

yes they're new and will be a bit more expensive. But they are an improvement over the Ultimates. They are every bit as powerful if not a bit more so. All lever adjustments, pad contact point and lever reach are externally adjustable with no tools required, and neither ajdusment affects the other. And the pads are top load now instead of the old bottom load design. It's kind of a toss up on that one as the top load pads require tools to remove the pads but can be done with the wheel installed. The older bottom load on the Ultimates is tool free but does require removal of the wheel.

Your choice of course. The parts for the Utimates will be around for a quite a while yet. There are still tons of them out there. And the pads will be around until they quit making the BB7 or change them. You wouldn't thing they could improve on the Ultimate, but IMHO they have with the Elixir.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Actually price wise they're about the same or the Elixir's are cheaper on ebay. So thats' one more plus for elixirs.

mtbr member

Ultimate vs Elixir

I have used Avid Ultimates for the last year until I snapped one of the brake levers (the magnesium is brittle). Replaced them with some Elixir CR's and have been quite impressed with the performance, slightly better stopping power and much improved modulation. I will say though, that once I set up the brakes the way I wanted (pad contact, lever reach, etc.), they were very close to my sons Elixir R's that can be gotten for $100 less.