mtbr member
    Mar 2004

brake advice????

Hey...
    Looking for some info from anyone smarter than me (which shouldnt be too hard to find).
    I got an Giant yukon 2003...alloy v-brakes...what i want to do is upgrade to disc brakes....does anyone know if that is possible on this type of bike??
    Thanks!

umm...yea
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by axeman26
    Hey...
    Looking for some info from anyone smarter than me (which shouldnt be too hard to find).
    I got an Giant yukon 2003...alloy v-brakes...what i want to do is upgrade to disc brakes....does anyone know if that is possible on this type of bike??
    Thanks!
    Im not too familiar with the frame/ fork design of the model you've described (this is more of an entry level bike isn't it?). If the bike has disc brake mounts (which most MTB's will have nowadays), then installing a disc system won't be a problem.

One of the newer mechanical (cable operated) systems might be a better match cost-wise for this type of bike.

Racing 'Round the Clock
    www.teamtwentyfour.com

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Quote Originally Posted by axeman26
    Hey...
    Thanks!

Yeah, the Yukon frame and fork is all set up for discs. You'll need new wheels if the bike doesn't come with disc-ready hubs.

If you want to save some cash and/or are unsure about jumping in whole-hog, you can go the front-only route with a front Avid and a new wheel, and enjoy about 75% of the benefit of disc brakes for less than half the cost and weight.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by f*nŠtik
    Yeah, the Yukon frame and fork is all set up for discs. You'll need new wheels if the bike doesn't come with disc-ready hubs.

If you want to save some cash and/or are unsure about jumping in whole-hog, you can go the front-only route with a front Avid and a new wheel, and enjoy about 75% of the benefit of disc brakes for less than half the cost and weight.
    Thanks for the advice/info! I had been considering that option as well...that is just in the front for the disc brakes...i guess i made the mistake of not gearing myself up enough at the start, and since im getting into more complex trails i think the upgrade would help...

umm...yea
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by f*nŠtik

Yes I kinda overlooked the fact that you'll need disc compatible hubs/ wheels.

Racing 'Round the Clock
    www.teamtwentyfour.com