mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Brake Adatptor question

I am currently running XT disc brakes with a 185 rotor. I'm going to switch to Avid Elixers and I'm wondering if the adaptor that is working with the XT's will also work with the Avids. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    Tequila tonight...for tomorrow we ride

King of Middle Earth
    Why switch from one of the greatest brakes ever (Shimano XT) to one that has continuous complaints. One (Avid) that is very temporamental...I can go on but what's the use???

I've heard two different stories on the adapter compatibility between Shimano and Avid. One LBS says, "yes, they are interchangable"...the other LBS says, "no, they are different".

Make it easy on yourself, upgrade to new XT's or keep what you've already got...
    fee-fy-fo-fum...

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I've had nothing but problems with the XT brakes. I will bid them a fond farewell!

King of Middle Earth
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutt
    I've had nothing but problems with the XT brakes. I will bid them a fond farewell!
    You'll have even more problems with Avid. What model XT's and what problems specifically?
    fee-fy-fo-fum...

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    They've always made too much noise and the power fades badly when they get heated up. Recently, the noise has gotten worse. I bled them, replaced the pads and even swapped a rotor but nothing helps. I think one of the pistons is sticky but not sure. Anyway, I've had much better luck with Avids in the past so I'm going to give them a try again. Not sure exactly what model XT, I'd have to look.

Nuts
    They will put the caliper in the same spot, just check for clearance between the caliper and adapter. You might have to hit it with the dremmel a little bit. I have never had a problem with Shimano adapters with Avid calipers but had clearance issues when using Avid adapters with Shimano calipers. But like I said nothing a little filing didn't take care of.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Thanks, it looks like it would just take a little filing to work.