mtbr member
    Apr 2004

are brake adaptors the same?

Are brake adaptors the same? If I have a Hayes adaptor for 6 inch front post mount to 6" front IS mount, will it work for other brand calipers? seems like it should since the geometries should all be the same?

would this also be true for rear brake calipers?

true for 6" to 8" adaptors?

TIA!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    No, each brake is set up for its own adapter. so your goign to have to get a different mount for a new set of brakes

mtbr member
    It really depends. Hayes tends to work with Shimano well across all disc sizes. I'm using Hayes adaptes on my front and rear with Shimano caliper. Avid, similar but they have a 185 mm rotor rather than a 180mm (Hayes is 178 but that is neglible). Other than those 3, your mileage may vary.

Meh.
    Hayes rotors are actually 183mm.

Generally, the adapters can be interchanged. I've used Shimano brakes with Hayes adapters. I've used Hayes adapters with Avid brakes. Avid adapters with Hayes brakes. I've used Tektros with Avid adapters. Sometimes the adapter is too shallow and the caliper will bottom on the adapter. If the brake rides a tiny bit high or a tiny bit low on the braking track, the nice thing about post mounts is that you can just use a shim or two to space it up.

A post mount is a post mount. Think of all the forks that use post mounts. Do you hear of a 160mm post mount on a Manitou working with one PM caliper but not another? Or the 203mm post mounts on Marzocchi, Rockshox, and Manitou?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

If all rotors were same diameter, then all adaptors would be same, right?

Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    Hayes rotors are actually 183mm.

A post mount is a post mount. Think of all the forks that use post mounts. Do you hear of a 160mm post mount on a Manitou working with one PM caliper but not another? Or the 203mm post mounts on Marzocchi, Rockshox, and Manitou?
    I agree, that's why I asked the question, but I forgot to consider varying rotor diameters for different manufacturers.
    I think if all rotors are the same diameter, then all adaptors would be the same.

ie. GIVEN: all post mounts are the same, and
    ASSUMING: all rotors are the same diameter,
    THEN: all IS mounts would be the same
    THEREFORE: all adaptors adapting Post mount to IS mount would HAVE to be the same.

does this sound right?