mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Brake adapters, Are 20mm hubs pretty standard?

I'm looking for Shimano brake adapters, and it seems the only front one I can find specifies 20mm hubs.
    Is 20mm pretty standard, and what is this a measurement of, so I can double check mine before I order?

meh....
    Quote Originally Posted by stingray4540
    I'm looking for Shimano brake adapters, and it seems the only front one I can find specifies 20mm hubs.
    Is 20mm pretty standard, and what is this a measurement of, so I can double check mine before I order?
    this is a 20mm front hub. if yours doesn't look like this (the BIG axle ends), you don't have a 20mm front hub.

what brake (exactly) are you looking for an adapter for, and why? might help.

this is a 9mm quick release hub. most likely what you have if you don't know what the 20mm in a 20mm hub refers to.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Thanks, that helps alot. My wheels have quick releases, so they are probably the 9mm then.

I'm looking for a 203mm adapter for fox f100rl, using shimano XTR brakes. So, I need 51mm to 51mm adapter, but the only one I've found on Jenson is for 20mm hubs.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    since you have IS calipers (51mm), this is the adapter you need if you have a fork with IS tabs

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Oh, thanks, I just found those on Jenson, don't know why I couldn't see those. Too much time staring at a computer screen I guess.

From what I see here http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/te...9830609096.pdf the M966 is a post mount caliper, the M965 is an IS mount caliper. Are you sure what you have?
    Last edited by Bikinfoolferlife; 11-05-2009 at 09:48 PM.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

g3h6o3
    With 20mm forks, only '06 Marzocchi have a different spacing I think!

Not your case, so standard 20mm adapter, IS or postmount depending on the fork/brake combo
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

Quote Originally Posted by PissedOffCil
    With 20mm forks, only '06 Marzocchi have a different spacing I think!

Not your case, so standard 20mm adapter, IS or postmount depending on the fork/brake combo
    He has a 9mm quick release hub and standard dropouts on the fork...
    suum quique

Meh.
    20mm adapter is for forks such as Marzocchi that use a 20mm thru-axle. They position their tabs 5mm further from the rotor. So the adapter is 5mm thicker. Using this 20mm adapter on a QR fork may result in interference issues. Even Fox and Rockshox 20mm thru-axle forks use a "QR" adapter.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    the Marzocci version has a "z" in the part # for Shimano anyway
    SM-MA-F203S/Z

for Shimano the part # tells what you have
    SM-MA-Front 203 is size 203 S is caliper type (post or standard) and S fork mount type
    so SM-MA-F203S/S is a 203 adapter for the front with standard mounting on both the fork and caliper
    if the fork is post mount and the caliper is standard then the # would be
    SM-MA-F203s/p

also , if you have the same mounts front and rear you can use a rear on the front but a rear 180 = a front 203

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    From what I see here http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/te...9830609096.pdf the M966 is a post mount caliper, the M965 is an IS mount caliper. Are you sure what you have?

To tell you the truth, I'm not sure. The "M966" I got from the brake levers. I can't find any model numbers other than "Shimano XTR" on the brake calipers.

Otherwise, I think I figured it out and ordered the adapters, I guess we'll find out if they work when they get here.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by stingray4540
    To tell you the truth, I'm not sure. The "M966" I got from the brake levers. I can't find any model numbers other than "Shimano XTR" on the brake calipers.

Otherwise, I think I figured it out and ordered the adapters, I guess we'll find out if they work when they get here.

Thanks everyone for the help.
    Well, if you look at the techdoc the different calipers are shown, should be easy enough to match to what you have...good luck!
    suum quique