Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Braided Hoses = Crap, they twist

Without a doubt the worst purchase I ever made was a pair of Hope (Goodridge) Universal Hose Kit 0 for my Stroker Trails.

You just cannot fit the damn things without them twisting.. whatever I try, they twist... I am seriously losing it with these overpriced magic (tragic) 'foo foo dust' cables, they are in my opinion a total POS and a total waste of money. I will never ever ever ever buy braided cables again after these are fitted, if indeed I even manage to fit the crappy things.

Any hints or tips? Should I just bin the ****ing things?

Thanks Goodridge and Hope.. Goodridge - you suck. Hope - you should know better,.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Mine have been awesome for 4+ years. Never twisted on a hose on any of the 3 bikes I've had the same set on.

Did you install & bleed with the brakes off the bike? That's how to do it. Measure with the brakes on to get the length, then remove calipers & levers, cut & install hoses, bleed off the bike hanging vertically, then mount everything back up onto the bike. Not sure how you could get the lines twisted if you do it that way.

mtbr member
    Have goodridges on 3 sets of brakes for years, no problems at all, just solid performance. Installation can be a bit difficult I guess, but worth the effort.

No, that's not phonetic
    The problem is not that they do twist- it's that they DON'T twist. There is absolutely no give over the length of the cable if you rotate one end. It just wants to wind into a coil instead. Getting the fittings on each end to sit nicely against the lever or caliper and not introducing any axial twist to the hose at all is the trick. Since Goodridge fittings screw into the hose, you should be able to rotate the fitting and get things straightened out.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    None of the replies above make any sense. Makes me wonder if we are even discussing the same thing!

Hope (Goodridge) braided hoses tend to twist and kink AXIALLY when you try and tighten the shroud. This is fine for the first shroud you tighten but becomes a problem with the second shroud. In the Hope video the mechanic does some kind of David Copperfield act with the lever where he (I think) tightens a couple, then takes off lever and tightens it a couple.. which sort of balances things out.. but this seems to be an art, cos it doesn't work for me...

Do the kinks just come out in time?

Therefore, in answer to poster FM, how on earth did you manage to connect the system together off the bike without getting kinks and twists when you fitted the system to the bike? Doesn't sound possible.

In answer to tscheezy.. you don't get Goodridge connectors with the Hope kit, the hose is Goodridge, but the connectors are made by Hope. So not sure whether you can just straighten it out using the connectors.

Does anyone here know what I am talking about?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 9speed
    Does anyone here know what I am talking about?
    a picture or vid does magic when words fail.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    The problem is not that they do twist- it's that they DON'T twist. There is absolutely no give over the length of the cable if you rotate one end. It just wants to wind into a coil instead. Getting the fittings on each end to sit nicely at.
    This is what I mean.... I am going to try the recommended Hope trick of tightening the lever into the shroud, after first tightening the shroud into the lever... I think that might be what the mechanic is doing in that Hope video. It's just he does it so quick and natural and ya know.. I take 10 times longer than any bike shop with any installation. 9/10 times I do it better than the shop, because I have been so painstakingly obsessive. The 1/10 time where initially I don't, is when I am unclear as to the process. The process of getting un-kinked hoses is not yet crystal...

Now you say a picture is worth a thousand words and so maybe a video is worth a million , but sometimes I just like the words and pictures and naughty nurses part 6. Ya knars whart I mean?

The dafty thing is, I got perfectly adequate working and complete Juicy3 SL's (they were good actually, even with that occasional cymbal noise (what was that?) that came with the bike, I got the yet unused Stroker Trails with the as yet not fully connected Hope hoses, and well... I got a few quid spare and I just seen the new Hope M4 techs.. maybe, I'll just buy a full bled set with REGULAR HOSES..If anyone can help me out with the Stroker installation though, whether my thinking is right, etc. Grateful I would be.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Fit the caliper hose first and then stand in front of the bike with the lever off the bars and tighten it all up so that the lever will sit in position without any twist- as you tighten it up keep checking if it will sit without twist- you will reach a point where the fittings are tight and the hose is in a good position. Done this lots of times and you should get a good result, i've seen lots of bikes sent out with twisted hose because people can't be bothered sorting it out.
    You can't make a racehorse out of a donkey, but you can make a fast donkey.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I hate to be thick or rude.. but you still are not giving me the process.. is i a case of one step forward, one step back i.e. tighten shroud into stationary lever, tighten lever into stationary shroud?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Tighten the fitting into the lever and then rotate the whole lever assembly into the hose- is this what you are asking?- sorry i am thinking you have Goodridge fittings, i am not sure what is included in a Hope universal kit or which fitting is used for Hayes levers. With a Hope brake the hose is fitted with a barbed fitting and a small washer with an olive around the hose, this is then butted up to the lever and tightened in place with the shroud.
    You can't make a racehorse out of a donkey, but you can make a fast donkey.

...idios...
    "Fit the caliper hose first and then stand in front of the bike with the lever off the bars and tighten it all up so that the lever will sit in position without any twist- as you tighten it up keep checking if it will sit without twist- you will reach a point where the fittings are tight and the hose is in a good position."

To add to this: once you've gotten the jist of how you're controlling the twist of the hose, it's possible to build a twist into the line so that it curves neatly around the head-tube/fork crown. Not a consideration on forks with a front-facing hose mount, but I find it useful on my '07 Marzocchi which has its mount on the rear of the fork.

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Thanks fellas. I will try this later and report back with pictures and you can tell me how crap my workmanship is!! lol.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    does this same twisting occur with black hoses?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by A MAN CALLED HORSE
    Tighten the fitting into the lever and then rotate the whole lever assembly into the hose- is this what you are asking?- sorry i am thinking you have Goodridge fittings, i am not sure what is included in a Hope universal kit or which fitting is used for Hayes levers. With a Hope brake the hose is fitted with a barbed fitting and a small washer with an olive around the hose, this is then butted up to the lever and tightened in place with the shroud.

Yeah essentially I have those Hope fittings. I think you are right though, essentially I counter act and control the twist by alternating between twisting shroud into lever, and then lever into shroud. So it's an art of sorts...

...idios...
    does this same twisting occur with black hoses?
    Yes, but not to the same extent. The steel braids are a little less forgiving!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Am I particularly obsessive or is it normal to have taken hours agonizing just to get them to the exact right length.......?

...idios...
    Am I particularly obsessive...
    Perhaps a little...

No, that's not phonetic
    Ah, you have the Hopes. I think I missed that the first go 'round. They SUCK. Plain old Goodridges are a lot nicer to work with since they have the threaded end pieces.

I have both (a set of hopes and a set of Goodridge) and I would never buy the Hopes again.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    So the Goodridge have none of these twisty issues?

I just hope it's worth all the trouble I have gone to. My Pitch Pro came with Juicy 3 SL which were fine.. but I bought the Hayes Stroker TRAILS thinking they would be better (I don't know yet, since I swapped out the black hoses as soon as I got them (they were too short anyhow))

Now I am wondering whether I'll notice any performance increase.. and whether I should just get the Hope Tech M4's.. and sell the Juicy's and Hayes on fleabay...

I will have a go at finishing the Hayes/Hope-Goodridge fitting tonight though....

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    so question for all of you... I have a set of Tech M4's that are all assembled, bled, and ready to ride but the bloody front hose is axially twisted and I can't seem to fix it. Any suggestions? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I fixed this ages ago. It's really easy.

You basically either twist the lever body into the spanner on the fitting, or you twist the fitting into the lever body. A combination of both gets out unwanted kinks and twists and can place in wanted twists... it is a black art of sorts....

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    i was asking for myself, but i'll give it a try. The problem is that my lines are bled, whereas yours were not. Thanks.

...idios...
    Quote Originally Posted by ajanthon
    i was asking for myself, but i'll give it a try. The problem is that my lines are bled, whereas yours were not. Thanks.
    It doesn't matter that the line is bled. If you're careful not to back the shroud too far off, then you can twist the hose without swapping fluid for air. See the Hope video...

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    awesome thanks. I got it all sorted.

mtbr member
    Just found this, and will give this a shot tonight. Tried shortening my new rear Tech M4's last night. All was going well with the shortening and bleed, until I started pumping them up and they started leaking at the fitting by the lever.

I was having a hell of a time get the hose not to kink when tightening the fitting, so I suppose I didn't have it tight enough. I can't see any other reason for it leaking, the olive barbed fitting,etc all went together fine.

But the kinking hose was driving me nuts, and I watched the Hope video as well. I shortened my pair of older Mono M4's last week with no issues, no kinking problems.

But last night was a different story. I'll try this combo twist of the fitting and lever again tonight.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast