mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Braided hose installation problem

Three of the four hose connections are working fine. This one is at the rear lever and is leaking from the shroud away from the lever. I have recut, smoothed the end, tried less hose under the olive, nothing seems to work. Under pressure fluid leaks out of the shroud at the end you tighten(with the wrench head). Any suggestions?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Braided hose installation problem-pa100061.jpg  

Braided hose installation problem-pa100071.jpg  

Braided hose installation problem-pa100072.jpg  

mtbr member
    Are you trying to install a modified barb/olive onto a Goodridge hose? Those hoses all use specific, reusable threaded fittings, none of which use traditional olives that get crushed around the hose.

http://www.goodridge.net/documents/d...Cat%202010.pdf

b a n n e d
    Is that where the olive normally is? I think its supposed to be flush with the end of the hose . . . .

And where's the barb? What kind of shape is that in? Also, the hole in the end of the line looks MASSIVE . . . for my Hopes, the hole was about the diameter of a toothpick.

What brakes are these from?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    The brakes are Hope X2 and the hoses are Hope braided replacement kits(Hope Stainless Steel Braided Hose Kit | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com). All olives and barbs are new and came with the kit. The olive is flush upon installation. I just moved it back so the end of the hose could be seen. I will try cutting the end again and keep the liner hole small as possible.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by santacruzflyer View Post
    The brakes are Hope X2 and the hoses are Hope braided replacement kits(Hope Stainless Steel Braided Hose Kit | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com). All olives and barbs are new and came with the kit. The olive is flush upon installation. I just moved it back so the end of the hose could be seen. I will try cutting the end again and keep the liner hole small as possible.
    I thought that olive looked familiar. When you press the barb in, how much difficulty do you have?

When I shortened my Hope SS lines, it was near impossible to push the barb back in by hand alone. I had to use a substantial amount of force, pressing the barb down onto a table to get it to fully seat.