mtbr member
    Sep 2004

bragging about my new items hope brakes

I just ordered a set of Hope mon 6 ti brakes for my bike. Did I choose the right brakes? I hope so they sure were expensive. I am going to be upgrading my bike(trek 6500) by 1k a month. I already have put on xpedx pedals and these brakes when they come. also ordered a set of chris king hubs with rhyno lite rims.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by iopturbo
    I just ordered a set of Hope mon 6 ti brakes for my bike. Did I choose the right brakes? I hope so they sure were expensive.
    Let me get this straight... are you installing a 6 piston DH specific hydro disc brakes wirth of nearly 250 bux a piece to a 800 bux Hardtail???

And are you thinking about upgrading one grand a month on a 800 bike???

The Hopes are plain overkill for your fork and it may void your fork warranty.

I'm aware it is your money and you have the right to spend it the way you want. But you'd rather save three months that amount and just spend on a hich-end bike which would require only 500 bux of upgrades A YEAR!!

Did you look at Titus, Turner, Intense or a brand alike??? They can build almost the bike you want and the price tag would not go very high.

Sorry man... but from my point of view 400 bux in brakes for a 800 bike is overkill.

I'm telling this from the heart and with a budget oriented view (My next bike will cost 1200 max, not because I don't want to spend more... it's just that I can't afford it).
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I am going to buy another frame fairly soon. I am building a bike with the compenents I want. I have been getting good prices on the components. I just havent decided what frame I want. The money isnt an issue I just have to decide what I want and what fits my needs. I probably did go overkill on the brakes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp2003
    Let me get this straight... are you installing a 6 piston DH specific hydro disc brakes wirth of nearly 250 bux a piece to a 800 bux Hardtail???

And are you thinking about upgrading one grand a month on a 800 bike???

The Hopes are plain overkill for your fork and it may void your fork warranty.

I'm aware it is your money and you have the right to spend it the way you want. But you'd rather save three months that amount and just spend on a hich-end bike which would require only 500 bux of upgrades A YEAR!!

Did you look at Titus, Turner, Intense or a brand alike??? They can build almost the bike you want and the price tag would not go very high.

Sorry man... but from my point of view 400 bux in brakes for a 800 bike is overkill.

I'm telling this from the heart and with a budget oriented view (My next bike will cost 1200 max, not because I don't want to spend more... it's just that I can't afford it).

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I'm doing something similar. I used to ride a lot but haven't really been on a bike for more than 10 years. I wanted to get back into it and didn't want to spend a lot until I figured out if it was something I wanted to pursue long term again.

Now that I know it is I've started upgrading. Spent about US$900 on the initial bike purchase and yesterday fitted an '05 FOX TALAS RLC fork and Hope Mono M4 with 7" rotor front and rear. The new bits are basically worth as much as the rest of the bike but they're also the bits that were giving me the most trouble. I won't be spending a grand a month but over the next 12 months I'll upgrade basically everything then reassemble the old bike and sell it off.

IMO it's a nice way to end up with a high end bike while breaking up the payments and having something to ride in the mean time.

"El Whatever"

If money is not issue....

Then just ride the cheap bike as it is and start buying the parts for the new bike starting by the frame. It will save you a lot of headaches as there might be parts attached to it that could not fit at the end or make the bike fit a bit weird or you can end up with compatibility issues.

I'm telling you this by experience.

What kind of riding do you like??? Trail, DH, FR, XC??? If you like XC then your new Hopes might be too heavy for a XC or Trail bike. If you like FR or DH then the Rhino lites are not the best rim... etc.

You should start by the frame based on your riding preferences. Besides by the time you get the frame maybe your fork might be close to be shot or for sure some component will be kind of worn.

Again, no pun intended. I understand money is not an issue but you'll enjoy more the process and final outcome.

You lucky SOB!!! I feel a nice kind of envy! I'd like to be in your position.

Cheers!!

Edit.... I would start with a decent framed bike with cheap arse components and get from there. Say, If I'm into trail riding I would take a Giant VT3 or a Jamis Dakar XLT and start from there. OR buying a Giant Rincon or low end Trek while buy all the parts for the new bike starting with a Turner 5 Spot, Intense 5.5 or Titus Switchblade.
    Last edited by Warp; 09-17-2004 at 04:30 PM.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    While money isn't an issue I'd rather not have it sitting around in parts I'm not currently using. IMHO you're just as likely to buy a frame now and in a years time find a different frame you would've get. You can really go either way. Both approaches should work but both will require the right research to ensure you're heading in the right direction towards you end goal and that parts will remain compatible.

Personally I want to ride a HT while I'm building up my fitness again and then switch to a full suspension later on. That's why I got a 5" travel fork. Too much for my current frame but should be just right for the next one.

I ride and prefer XC but I'll have a go at anything in front of me.