mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Which brackets to mount XT Calipers on my bike?

Hello,
    A friend of mine just upgraded the brake system on his bike and sold me his "old" Shimano XT hydraulic brakes for a very modest price. I would like to install this system on my Trek hardtail, and I will need brackets to make this happen.

Question #1 (front): Shimano XT hydraulic caliper on RockShox Judy TT front fork. Can any of you guys tell me the exact model or part # for the bracket I will need to make this happen? Here's a picture of what I am looking at.
    Question #2 (rear): same Shimano XT caliper as above, to be installed on a frame without disc brake mounts. Unfortunately I learned that the holes I have on the tail were not meant for a rear caliper, so I will need another adapter so that I can mount the rear caliper. After some research I have stumbled across this site, but nobody picks up the phone and I haven't received a call back (I have no idea how much those go for). I also found these, but have no idea if they are what I need and if they work well.
    Question #3 (caliper overhaul kit): The rear caliper leaked pretty badly before he removed it. Is there such a thing as a "gasket kit" for it? I know they sell them for cars as I have rebuilt automotive calipers in the past (piston rings and assorted gaskets), but does Shimano or any other vendor offer a kit for these? If not, do you guys know where could I send the caliper to be rebuilt?

Thank you in advance for your time, if you could answer my three questions above I would immensely appreciate it!

-Walter
    Last edited by Treppiede; 06-10-2007 at 04:05 PM.

mtbr member
    Q1: answered about 20 posts under yours

XT 755 Hydros -- what do I need to use 180mm rotors?

mtbr member
    Q2: also about 20 posts below yours

A2Z Disk Brake Adapter for frames without disk mount, anyone try one?

You should search... it would have saved you the 15 minutes to type your questions.

BTW you are suppose to bend those aluminum plates up onto the sides of the rotor screws. Thats why they are triangular. This will keep them from unscrewing. I just remove them and put a little 242 loktite on the screws.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    gdl357: Thanks for your effort. I must admit I posted this same thread on another Forum first, and I did search before posting there, I simply forgot to search before posting here. N00bie mistake since I've been frequenting Forums for over 10 years, apologies, lets say it has been a long day.

Anyways, as far as Question #1 is concerned, I am unable to find any answer in the thread you suggested. They are talking about rotor size upgrading and mentioning a few models, but I am so new in this field that even if one of the models mentioned would work for my application, I wouldn't know. I guess I am looking for an answer along the lines of: "You need the Shimano xyz-11". As soon as I have the exact model I'll find it online and order it.

Pertaining Question #2, the information on that thread you suggested is very interesting. I have a question, how do I know if my frame has flat-dropouts? Here's a blurry zoom of an old pic that shows that portion of my frame, can you tell by looking at it? Also, has anyone tried the "Brake Therapy Kit" I linked in my original thread?

Thanks again!

-Walter
    Last edited by Treppiede; 06-10-2007 at 04:06 PM.

mtbr member
    I don't get it. Q1 its rght there. Same caliper as yours.

Shimano P/N n link

http://aebike.com/page.cfm?PageID=30...ils&sku=BR8586

and the picture is the A2Z model...
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Did you try bolting that front caliper to the fork yet? I'm just guessing here, but it looks like it might bolt on without any adapters. What diameter rotor is it?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    gdl357: Thanks for "spoon-feeding" me. I guess that's what I needed to solve my first issue. What gave me a good starting point was this line from the link you posted:
    fits 51mm front caliper to 51mm fork with 180mm rotor
    Now I can go measure my parts and start from there.

BlownCivic: Yes I tried and the caliper bolts don't match with the fork holes. The rotor is 170mm (6.7").

If someone explains me what "flat-dropouts" are and how do I tell if I have them it would help me immensely choosing a rear adapter for these brakes. I have done some searching and it looks like the Brake Therapy kit is the way to go, but it appears it's quite expensive. I still have not understood what the price is and whether it would work for my application. I just wish Brian would pick up the phone or return my call. I might try the A2Z, we shall see.

Also, any idea about Question #3?

Thanks for the assistance guys!

-Walter

EDIT: Corrected rotor size.
    Last edited by Treppiede; 06-10-2007 at 04:06 PM.

mtbr member
    ok. I feel for you. LOL

I was at the same point as you were with a frame that had no rear disc mounts.

The BEST advice I Can give you is this. Don't waste your time with the rear adaptor/conversion. Spend $150.00 and get yourself a Leader or $300 gets you a Giant frame. Can be had new on ebay for the price I mentioned. I ended up getting a Gary Fisher fram and built the bike up again. I don't regret it one bit. I look at my older frame and I thank myself for doing it.

The disc setup can end up forcing your chainstays as your frame was not ment to have the lateral force discs are able to pump out. At the same time, it will be cleaner and above all SAFER setup.

If you think about it, your looking at a $100-150 more than the kit you are looking at. WELL worth the upgrade.

I know its harsh, but you will end up regretting it in a year from now if you get the adaptor kit.

Leader: $150
    http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Leader-Alumi...QQcmdZViewItem

Giant: $278
    http://cgi.ebay.com/2007-Giant-XTC-T...QQcmdZViewItem

Thx
    Last edited by gdl357; 06-10-2007 at 12:41 AM.

mtbr member
    If the caliper doesn't fit then it seems the forks do not have IS standard 51mm mounts. Are you sure the rotor is 160 - might it have come off a Manitou and be a 170mm rotor?

In terms of overhaul kits I understand that they aren't available as Shimano parts, but perhaps try to find some Grimeca System 8 parts as they are the original design of the calipers and the parts are interchangeable.

Tim

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    I agree with wombat... the IS caliper should fit for a 160mm rotor without any adapters, since the judy also has IS tabs...

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    gdl357: I immensely appreciate your advice. Now that I think of it perhaps it would have been a better idea to get a new frame like you suggested, but at this point of my "project" it would be a sin. Allow me to explain why, I work in the Networking/Computing field, and I have a lot of friends/customers with which I exchange services. One of them owns a "powder-coating shop", and I just got my Trek 4900 frame powder-coated with a very strong pearly white (semi gloss). It was free because (thankfully) he needed some help from me. As you can imagine, right now all I want is to get the bike on the trail and start riding again. Since front braking is the most important, I wouldn't have minded to just keep the rim brake in the back, however I just got a set of Mavic Crossrides for a good price and I would prefer to keep the rim flat black by not using rim brakes.

Wombat and crisillo: You are right! My apologies, the rotor is one of those 170mm Shimano ones! I edited my post above to reflect this correction. My friend used to have a Manitou fork, and I have his old adapter, but it's useless for my fork. So which adapter do I need? My Buddy suggested I go with a Shimano one since I am dealing with an oddly sized Shimano disc. I am confused.

I'll leave you guys with a couple of pics of the bike as it stands right now. I really like the way she's coming out, I just want to take her back to the trail!

^^^ That's a newer picture, are those flat-dropouts or not?

Thanks again for the help!

-Walter

PS= Big difference, eh?
    Last edited by Treppiede; 06-10-2007 at 04:27 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Treppiede
    gdl357: Wombat and crisillo: You are right! My apologies, the rotor is one of those 170mm Shimano ones! I edited my post above to reflect this correction. My friend used to have a Manitou fork, and I have his old adapter, but it's useless for my fork. So which adapter do I need?
    I'm glad you got that sorted out, but you don't need an adapter: your calipers should bolt straight to the forks. You do need a 160mm rotor though as I don't know of any adapter that will fit that caliper to 170mm rotors.

Just to be clear: if you get a 160mm rotor the calipers should fit properly the forks and the rotor without an adapter.

Tim

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    yep.. do as Wombat says (you just need a 160mm rotor)

-> SickLines.com <-
    Contrary to what's been posted on this message... I can't really tell from your picture, but trek does make a disc adapter that might work with your frame.

It looks like it should work but double check with your bike shop but i've had one of these on my old fuel's, and it worked great. It bolts directly to the frame and isn't like those other adapters. Its just about as good as having the disc brake tabs on your bike.

Don't let gdl357 fool you, he's guilty of the same transgressions you did

Last edited by mtb_biker; 06-11-2007 at 07:01 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    mtb_biker: I just got off the phone with Trek and they confirmed about the existance of the adapter you mentioned. For future reference it's Trek p/n 87855.

I am going to order this little guy right now, I will keep you guys posted.

Thanks again for the great news!

-Walter

I already rode that
    You also might want to use your bike stand clamp on the seatpost, to avoid damaging your top tube. Unless its holding it in place with very light/no pressure.
    Riding F/S since oct 94'

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb_biker
    Don't let gdl357 fool you, he's guilty of the same transgressions you did

Everyone was a white belt when they started, including you...

BTW: I have that same adaptor on my Gary Fisher ZR 9000 frame.

Thx
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (30.9 KB, 99 views)

-> SickLines.com <-
    Quote Originally Posted by Treppiede
    mtb_biker: I just got off the phone with Trek and they confirmed about the existance of the adapter you mentioned. For future reference it's Trek p/n 87855.

I am going to order this little guy right now, I will keep you guys posted.

Thanks again for the great news!

-Walter
    Cool, glad it worked out for you. Enjoy, just make sure you get the right sized rotor(s).

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Ok kids, settle down now, no need to argue!

On a side note, the more I look at that adapter, the more I love it. It's like... a work of art.

In other words I can hardly wait to mount my rear disc brake with an inexpensive, Trek-engineered solution!!!

By the way, the correct part number for that Trek adapter has changed from 87855 to 210648. I found this out after calling Trek for the second time since I wasn't getting anywhere with 87855.

I'll keep you tuned.

Regards,

-Walter