mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Bought new rotors and bag/box was opened?

Bought a pair of Shimano Rt-86 rotors from a very reputable company and one of the bags inside the box was opened and the rotor was not even put back in properly. Obviously someone took out the rotor.

It looks unused and new on close inspection, and I looked very closely comparing it to the rotor that was unopened.

Since I never used bike rotors before is there any reason to be of concern here or is there any known scam of why someone opened and returned the rotor?

Should I just keep it if it looks new or return it for another one?

Thanks for any advice here. I just hate buying new stuff that was opened and usually think of scam.

El CicloPath!!!!!!!
    Nov 2012
    Why dont you contact the seller and ask them?

But if the rotors are true, no marks on them, virgin braking surface, go ahead and mount them, bed them...................they're going to get marked up after your first ride anyways...as long as they are true, no damage, for rotors I dont see why you couldn't use them.

Trail Ninja
    New is new. Packaging is just to deliver the product to you in the best condition possible, and maybe to make an impression on someone when they see it on a retail store shelf. If it's all there, then the only difference is that someone took a peek into the package, which seems pretty harmless to me. It's not like food where it has a shelf life and has sanitary and freshness standards. If you demand product that sits in a warehouse unopened all day, rather than product from a bike shop that has cyclists come in and ask to see things in person, try a mail-order only retailer. Just note that your money spent is supporting such minimal services, rather the the services offered by whoever you bought from; if it's the same price, I'd give the money to the guys supporting the community rather than the guy trying to pocket more profit.

I had a similar case with pedals. Practically brand new, but looked like someone opened it and put things back a bit sloppily, like the manual loosened up and one of the packaging tabs kind of bent (from JensonUSA). If I complained about something like that, that would make me seem like a douche. I once received a merino wool item (BuffHeadwear) from some online shop and found a bunch of tiny holes in it when I looked at it after the first wear... complained about that, but didn't return it since the mail-order only company's return policy made it a hassle. Apparently moths or other wool eating bugs got to it while it was sitting in a box in the warehouse.

As far as scams go, as long as the seller's an authorized dealer, I'd expect authentic. Got to watch out for Avid, Ritchey carbon, FSA carbon stuff on eBay, as those are popular brands that get copied. The "precision" 3D/net forged alloy stuff isn't so easy to replicate and can be somewhat trusted, but the carbon can't be trusted. I think Avid switched factories a lot due to complaints with quality consistency of older brakes, so the older factories who had their contracts cancelled still pump them out still (rotors and lower end disc brakes like bb7 and elixir 3) and they wind up on eBay through chinese based sellers and are of inferior quality. Highly doubt any authorized dealers end up with them and doubt any of Shimano's stuff is counterfeited due to the manufacturing methods they use.

official eMpTyBRain
    Did the box everything came in look opened and resealed? There may have been an inspection of the contents by a higher authority.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

human dehumidifier
    Look at the rotor bolt holes to see if there are witness marks from it having been installed.
    When you get older, much of your hate comes from knowledge and experience, which is why really old people hate everyone

mtbr member
    May 2007
    The NSA needed to take a look and they have the serial numbers
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

Another Monster.
    Oct 2004
    check they weren't swapped for RT76s the two are hard to tell apart