mtbr member
    Mar 2011

bomber 1998 z2 V brake adaptor

hi all, I have just purchased a set of 1998 z2 marzocchi bomber forks, I try'd to install a v brake only to find they have no bosses to fit them to, I have searched on the net and i have found a pair on ebay, the only thing is they are described to fit bombers 2003 onwards.
    Did marzocchi change the thread post size on there forks after 2003 or will any marzocchi v brake adaptor/bosses fit any fork
    here's two pics of marzocchi bosses/adaptors I have found, the thread size's look to be different to each other, my thread size is 5mm
    bomber 1998 z2 V brake adaptor-picture-1.png

bomber 1998 z2 V brake adaptor-picture-3.png

mtbr member
    call marzocchi. the part number is 532592BZ=cantilever pin. The fork was not designed to be used without the brake stud, IIRC. it's the same part # for all bombers from 1997-2001.
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by logbiter
    call marzocchi. the part number is 532592BZ=cantilever pin. The fork was not designed to be used without the brake stud, IIRC. it's the same part # for all bombers from 1997-2001.

Forks without the "integrated M Arch" introduced in either 2000 or 2001 do not require the brake studs. The brake studs are required for forks with the integrated cryofit arch as they server to hold the arch in place, earlier forks had bolt on arches that had nothing to do with the brake studs.

Linoleum Knife
    I have both styles you mention, and those studs pictured are definitely not what you want for a 98 bomber.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

marzocchi v brakes

Firstly thanks to everyone for the reply's

I found this pic on the net, this is the same arch that I have on my forks.
    I also found a supplier for the boss/part, (link below). I phoned marzocchi and the guy gave me the product code 532927QF, I noticed that this is the thinner thread, the one in pic 3 above, it has a thinner thread than the actual shaft and does look like it will fit, he did not say to buy 532592BZ-F which according to the site below is supposed to fit 1997-2001 models,(confusing)?.

anyway I've ordered 532927QF, fingers crossed
    will update when the boss comes through

http://http://www.activesport.co.uk/...aram=cid%3D%26

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    dont know why the above link won't work, here it is again
    cheers

http://www.activesport.co.uk/shop/category_772/Brake-Bosses.html?shop_param=cid%3D%26[/URL]

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    forgott to add the ruddy picture of the fork arch, here it is

Name:  images.jpg
Views: 730
Size:  6.4 KB

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by slider32
    Forks without the "integrated M Arch" introduced in either 2000 or 2001 do not require the brake studs. The brake studs are required for forks with the integrated cryofit arch as they server to hold the arch in place, earlier forks had bolt on arches that had nothing to do with the brake studs.
    No, the 2000-2002 forks required the canti stud to hold the arch and sliders together. After that the sliders and arch were one piece (with less clearance).

The earlier forks with the separate arch (as pictured above) just used a normal brake boss.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slider32
    that's right, I was thinking of the whole fiasco when people started removing their bosses for a cleaner look when using disc brakes on their early M-arch forks. As Shiggy said, I don't think there's anything marzocchi specific about the brake studs, so they can probably be found elsewhere. I'll try to get a thread & pitch off of one in my parts bin, though Marzocchi should be able to tell the OP the technical specifications of them.
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

origional starter post

hello,

I was the one who started the thread:

I finally got the boss part through the post: 532592BZ=cantilever pin, after many hours of research and a phone call to marzocchi who gave me above part No. above to buy, this boss was the wrong one!!!!!!!!!!!, repeat 532592BZ is the wrong one for 1998 z2

The thread of the boss itself was the right size (5mm) but the boss was too long, too long infact that I try'd to screw it into the fork further and snapped the boss alltogether, leaving the threaded part of the boss permanently stuck in the fork. this has rendered the V brake system/boss on the forks altogether useless!!!!
    after all that time, money and research, what a bummer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I took the fork into a bike shop today and the only solution apart from a disc brake upgrade was to try to thread the boss holder with a newer, bigger thread, big enough to hold a regular size boss, (more money!!!!)

this new bigger thread will leave the boss holder quite thin on the outside, and at this point I'm unsure weather this will hold/secure the new regular size boss in place, (fingers crossed).

My final advice to anyone buying a retro bomber marzocchi z2 suspension fork would be to make sure that it comes with a V-brake boss/canter-lever pin in place, (if you want to use a V-brake system). IF IT DOES NOT, DON'T BUY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The fork itself looks great and has amazing reviews and I'm really happy with my purchase, just the V-brake installation has been a pain in the a--se.

again the fork itself is great!!!!!!!!, just be aware of the V-brake boss!!!!!!!!!

Hope this helps,,,,cheers,,,,,,chris

p.s. thanks to all who posted with advice

mtbr member
    Dang, that sucks K!
    What side was it you had the issue with? I've got a spare leg or two that I'm holding onto for parts, since I'm still running a couple of '98-'99 Z2's. I'll have to dig out the parts box & check what I've got. IIRC, it's a lime green leg.
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by kaponeoly
    hello,

I was the one who started the thread:

I finally got the boss part through the post: 532592BZ=cantilever pin, after many hours of research and a phone call to marzocchi who gave me above part No. above to buy, this boss was the wrong one!!!!!!!!!!!, repeat 532592BZ is the wrong one for 1998 z2

The thread of the boss itself was the right size (5mm) but the boss was too long, too long infact that I try'd to screw it into the fork further and snapped the boss alltogether, leaving the threaded part of the boss permanently stuck in the fork. this has rendered the V brake system/boss on the forks altogether useless!!!!
    after all that time, money and research, what a bummer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I took the fork into a bike shop today and the only solution apart from a disc brake upgrade was to try to thread the boss holder with a newer, bigger thread, big enough to hold a regular size boss, (more money!!!!)

this new bigger thread will leave the boss holder quite thin on the outside, and at this point I'm unsure weather this will hold/secure the new regular size boss in place, (fingers crossed).

My final advice to anyone buying a retro bomber marzocchi z2 suspension fork would be to make sure that it comes with a V-brake boss/canter-lever pin in place, (if you want to use a V-brake system). IF IT DOES NOT, DON'T BUY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The fork itself looks great and has amazing reviews and I'm really happy with my purchase, just the V-brake installation has been a pain in the a--se.

again the fork itself is great!!!!!!!!, just be aware of the V-brake boss!!!!!!!!!

Hope this helps,,,,cheers,,,,,,chris

p.s. thanks to all who posted with advice
    Canti stud threads are usually 8mm or 10mm. have not seen 6 or 5mm.

More bad news is the '98 Bombers used Formula spec disc tabs. 49mm apart and a different distance from the axle than current IS tabs.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

cheers log

thanks ever so much log,
    I'm new to this forum as I'm just getting back on my bike after a 5 year rehabilitation from a serious accident and I just wanna say how welcoming you have all made me feel with your help, great community spirit!!!!!!!

tanks again log, getting my bike back on monday so fingers crossed that he's fixed the boss problem as my forks are in yellow and they look so darn good!! on my green trek, lime green would prob work, but I'm a bit apprehensive about going back to the 'find the right boss problem', again a big thanks log, keep you updated

happy treking!!!!!!!!!!!