Thread: Blew my brakes!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Blew my brakes!

Well went out riding today and blew the adjustment screws on the front and rear calipers. So when I get the brake pad adjustment where I want and pull the brake lever it pushes out the pad/adjustment screw back out. They still are in great condition, its just the screw. I'm really hard on my brakes but didn't think they would push the screw out. Im thinking maybe I got them heated up too much and made the alumium softer?... Im hoping I dont have to break down and get a new front/rear caliper set($200) I was looking to get a new crank set but that is goin to be put on the back burner. Im about to go to Home Depot and get some hardware and try to tap out the hole and install a larger screw. Anyone run into this problem before and were able to still use the caliper still and how?
    '10 Hardrock disk hrdtl- odyssey triple trap pedals,anti-slip grips,deore evrythng,9spd cluster/3x

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Here's the screw I'm dealing with. Its the one on the right hand side of the fork on the caliper.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Blew my brakes!-snapshot_20110320_1.jpg  

'10 Hardrock disk hrdtl- odyssey triple trap pedals,anti-slip grips,deore evrythng,9spd cluster/3x

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    use some loctite or vibratite on the pad adjustment screw

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Well after bringing my bike to a few shops today; one bike tech was telling me that it needs new calipers, the other one said he'll try to fix the existing calipers, and lastly is a Representive from Specialized is going to be in town tomorrow at a local shop so I maaay get it covered under warranty possibly. Im frustrated at the fact that a set screw that cost probably 10 cents is costing me $140 potentially. My next step is doing it myself if the warranty doesn't fall through. Home depot here I come!! Anyone recommend anything when tapping alumium? Im familiar with tapping steel and Id assume its the same process but want to check first...

mtbr member
    Tapping aluminum is pretty much the same. It's generally easier to tap, but still... I'd disassemble the brakes totally before hand, but it sounds like you're comfortable with that.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Got the front brakes fixed for the most part. A pain in the arse but I made it happen. Cost me $5 so far. A little drilling and some tapping and done! Installed a 1/2" 20tpi. I'll get some pics as soon as I kno its a solid alternitve.

ballbuster
    What?? $200?!? You gotta be kidding me. You should fire your LBS.

Dude, just spend $50 each on Avid BB7 calipers (the best cable actuated calipers ever made) and replace the one funky one... or both for an upgrade.

Believe me, you didn't heat your brakes up to 800F to mess up the aluminum. Just heating and cooling over and over sometimes makes the screws back out.... or maybe it just came loose.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Aluminum melts at 1220 F

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    ^ Those brakes must have been smokin' then!

And yes, the LBS that said $200 is crazy. One new BB7 for the front would fix it if it happens again.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Its the rear brakes too guys. Both brakes went in the same day so thats why I think its heat related. Im definitly interested in those bb7s. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction, cuz im new to the disc brakes. But so far the front is working out great with the new modification I did. Heres a picture of the brake with the 1/2" 20tpi. Looks like it belongs there,lol.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Blew my brakes!-snapshot_20110327_2.jpg