mtbr member

New question here. Bleeding my brakes...?

I have a front hyrdraulic Formula Evoluzione brake, and i bought some DOT 3 oil, which the brake asks for, and a nifty little syringe i got from a pharmacy. I attempted to bleed and replace the oil in there since the brake was very "spongy" and always rubbed on my rotor.

In a quick way of saying what happened, i failed...

Here's what i did. Maybe i didnt do something, or did something i wasnt supposed to...please help me learn, because i really want to do this myself.

-I opened a little set allen screw that has an arrow pointing to it, pointing out that this is where you add fluid.
    -I Squeezed and held the brake lever, and i opened the bottom hole on the caliper for the old fluid to come out of.
    -I added some fluid, which is didnt seem to go in very easily, until just a stead flow of fluid squirts out of the bottom hole on the caliper, and quickly closed it.
    -I then put the allen set screw back in, and then released the lever.

The pads move ok, but they're not close enough, even with the brake lever hitting the handlebars to even touch the rotor? And you can hear a sloshing sound in the brake caliper, as if i didnt add enough fluid, even though the resovior on the brake lever is full, and the fluid seems really hard to add if i have to quickly add it, and close the bottom hole on the caliper quickly to stop the fluid from coming out right after i add it.

Should i keep adding fluid?
    Is there any easier, or correct way i should do this?
    Am i adding the fluid (in)correctly?
    Should i just try what i already did, again?

This is about a 2 year old brake, it worked ok until it got spongy. unfortunatly i never had any instructions on how to bleed the brake. I acan take pics of everything if that will help you help me. I really want to learn how to do this myself, as my next bike i build up will have a front hyd. disc as well. I know how to do everything else on my bike, but am just lost on hyrdaulics.

Thanks so much for your help and patience with my lenghty question.
    Last edited by BottomFeeder; 04-20-2005 at 09:50 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BottomFeeder
    I have a front hyrdraulic Formula Evoluzione brake, and i bought some DOT 3 oil, which the brake asks for, and a nifty little syringe i got from a pharmacy. I attempted to bleed and replace the oil in there since the brake was very "spongy" and always rubbed on my rotor.

In a quick way of saying what happened, i failed.

Here's what i did. Maybe i didnt do something, or did something i wasnt supposed to...

I opened a little set allen screw that has an arrow pointing to it, pointing out that this is where you add fluid.
    I Squeezed and held the brake lever, and i opened the bottom hole on the caliper for the old fluid to come out of.
    I added some fluid, which is didnt seem to go in very easily, until just a stead flow of fluid squirts out of the bottom hole on the caliper, and quickly closed it.
    I then put the allen set screw back in, and then released the lever.

The pads move ok, but they're not close enough, even with the brake lever hitting the handlebars to even touch the rotor? And you can hear a sloshing sound in the brake caliper, as if i didnt add enough fluid, even though the resovior on the brake lever is full, and the fluid seems really hard to add if i have to quickly add it, and close the bottom hole on the caliper quickly to stop the fluid from coming out right after i add it.

Should i keep adding fluid?
    Is there any easier, or correct way i should do this?
    Am i adding the fluid (in)correctly?

This is about a 2 year old brake, it worked ok until it got spongy. unfortunatly i never had any instructions on how to bleed the brake. I can take pics of everything if that will help you help me. I really want to learn how to do this myself, as my next bike i build up will have a front hyd. disc as well. I know how to do everything else on my bike, but am just lost on hyrdaulics.

Thanks so much for your help and patience with my lenghty question.
    Typically, you will have a piece of tubing inserted at the resevoir end at the brake handle, with the other end inserted into a bottle suspended from the handle bar. Then you take your syringe, which is filled with the hydraulic fluid, which also has a piece of tubing on it to fit the fill nipple at the caliper. After attaching the syringe, open the nipple and push the fluid through the lines with the syringe untill you see clear fluid w/ no bubbles flowing into the bottle hanging from the bar. Shut the nipple off before removing the tubing and you should have a good bleed. It is imperative that you not allow any air into the system during this process. Good luck.
    Another day in paradise!

A wheelist
    If you didn't follow the correct bleeding instructions to the letter using a dedicated bleed kit then the chances of you getting this right are nil.

Check on Formula's site for the instructions and/or maybe the instructions I wrote for Thorsten's FOG (Formula Owners' Group) site will be the same -

http://groups.msn.com/FOGFormulaOwne...pgmarket=en-us

Ahhh I see Thor has Evoluzione bleeding instructions on his site. I was just there.

Mike T. (mcm # 717 & FOG)
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

SWEET! You're awesome, that worked great. I think the only thing i did wrong, was not loosening the set screw on the lever, so the lever is freely away out of the piston, thus opening the valve on it. It didnt work at first, but i pumped the brake a bunch of times, and it began to work, so i guess it sucked down all the topped off brake fluid in the resivoir. Thanks again, i looked everywhere on the net for some bleeding instructions!