wanderer

Bleeding Magura Marta SL

Was hoping someone could give me any direction on this... The instructions on the Magura site for bleeding the brakes seem to be very poorly translated from German to English or something, because several of the sentences and steps either contradict each other or just don't make sense to me.

Anyways, here's what I've gathered I'm supposed to do- The problem is that after this bleed, they still seem fairly squishy... still stop fine, but I can squeeze the lever more after the braking starts, all the way back to the handlebar.
    (BTW, I have the 2008 version of Marta SL).

1). Twist reservoir horizontal, tighten on handlebar and remove cap.
    2). Fill one syringe with blood, and insert into caliper port.
    3). Push blood through system with one hand, while sucking out blood from the reservoir with other syringe with the other hand.
    4). When almost all the blood is pushed out of the caliper syringe, start slowly pulsing the lever blade to work the blood back through the system and back into the caliper syringe. Tap on caliper occasionally. Do this until no bubbles come out of caliper with the blood.
    (It took me about 40 pulls of the lever for this...)

Is this all correct? Any other pointers to make a better bleed?

Thanks!
    Fueled entirely by plants. And beer.

fliernh
    Aug 2008
    You may not have an air problem that is fixed by bleeding. Check the magura web site for a "Tech Tip" on "mobilizing stuck pistons". I went through a bunch of bleeding and so did my shop and then I found the mentioned issue on the Magura forum. The deal is that the pistons stick to the seal which is what causes piston retraction and the pistons retract unevenly or one of them retracts too much. Then you run out of stroke and the brake lever bottoms making it feel weak or like there is air in the system. The quick fix is easy and works like a charm. If you cannot find the article, e-mail me and I will e-mail you a copy.
    13 Stumpy FSR Expert Carbon 29
    09 FSR Stumpy S-Works
    11 Surly Pugsley
    04 Klein Attitude Race