mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Wink bleeding Magura hs11 hydralic brakes?

Hi all,
    My son has a onza T-vee with the above brakes. The front is fine but the rear is a pain?
    He bought a Magura bleed kit inc all pipes fluid etc. He changed all pipes unions seals etc.
    He followed the inst from Magura website, the brake was ok for a day but then all power went & now they won't work properly? He bled them again but same senario!
    Any one got any tips or could it be a fault on the brake?

cheers all,

mtbr member
    If he bled it and it worked well for a day it sounds like he has a leak somewhere. Clean the brakes well and then check for a leak around the lever, hose and calipers.

Tim

Magura N. America Svc Mgr
    Jun 2004
    Hello gapr.

Bleeding the HS rim brake series is an easy affair compared to current disc brakes. Reasons being the internal inside diameters of all the routing orafices are large in comparison.
    It is a "low pressure" sustem compared to disc systems of today.
    Simply attach one syringe and fitting to the caliper, then the second syringe and fitting to the master cylinder port and push fluid back and forth tapping the line in order to dislodge any air caught up somewhere.
    Push an entire syringe load back and forth through the system several times until you are satisfied with your work.

I suspect you didn't get all of the air out of the system with the initial bleed.

Very important with our rim brakes before bleeding, back out the lever adjuster "allen" screw located at the master cylinder behind the lever blade. This moves the master piston AND the pads and it needs to be returned to its starting position.
    If not, you can produce some "slop" in the lever throw after the bleed because they are "Closed systems" and don't allow for heat expansion.

Remember, real easy. Just move the fluid back and forth about 4 or 5 times after setting the lever adjuster in its proper starting position.

One more thing, the calipers need to be adjusted so the pads are approx. 2 to 3 mm from the rim surface.

Good luck and let me know if I can help further.
    Jude

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Smile thanks for all the tips!

Hi all,
    thanks for all the tips, I'll try them all & hopefully succeed with one!