mtbr member

Bleeding Juicy Ulitimates

After traveling around for almost two weeks, somewhere along the way the front brake started rubbing. I tried to push out the brake pads and they still rubbed. I went ahead and bought an Avid bleed kit.
    My problem now is that they are still rubbing after bleeding them. I followed the instructions on the manual for the Ultimates. It looks that the outside pad is engaged while the inside pad has the normal spacing between the pad and the rotor. Any tricks while bleeding or anything i can adjust to fix it...no air in the line.

thanks

Meh.
    Have you tried recentering the caliper? Is the caliper able to move over far enough to prevent that pad from rubbing.

Did you bleed with the knob all the way in the "out" position? It's certainly possible that the system is overfilled. With the bleed port at the lever open, push the pistons all the way back into their bores. This will force out any excess fluid.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    Have you tried recentering the caliper? Is the caliper able to move over far enough to prevent that pad from rubbing.

Did you bleed with the knob all the way in the "out" position? It's certainly possible that the system is overfilled. With the bleed port at the lever open, push the pistons all the way back into their bores. This will force out any excess fluid.
    By recentering the caliper? Do u mean use spacers? I am using the I.S. mount.
    i am gonna try that. I just rebleed them and change a few techniqes, its a little better and spacing the caliper off to one side a tad seems like it will work...thanks for the help. It seems easy now just needed a little push along. thanks

Meh.
    Are you sure it's not a post mount caliper mounted to an IS adapter? I haven't seen a direct IS mount Ultimate yet. If it's with an adapter, you don't need spacers. You loosen the two bolts that attach the caliper to the adapter (and CPS washers). Pump the levers a few times, then squeeze and hold. While squeezing the lever. tighten down those two bolts nice and evenly a little at a time. Make sure that the caliper does not shift while you are tightening.

If you really do have an IS caliper, then yes, you will need to use thin spacers between the caliper and frame/fork.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    Are you sure it's not a post mount caliper mounted to an IS adapter? I haven't seen a direct IS mount Ultimate yet. If it's with an adapter, you don't need spacers. You loosen the two bolts that attach the caliper to the adapter (and CPS washers). Pump the levers a few times, then squeeze and hold. While squeezing the lever. tighten down those two bolts nice and evenly a little at a time. Make sure that the caliper does not shift while you are tightening.

If you really do have an IS caliper, then yes, you will need to use thin spacers between the caliper and frame/fork.
    I have a IS adapter.
    I loosened the screws and pumped the lever and re-tightened. PERFECT.
    Thanks for all your help.