mtbr member

Bleeding to improve a factory bleed on Avid Elixirs?

I am thinking the factory bleed on my '12 Avid Elixir 1's could use some improvement. The braking power is good, but they don't feel as firm as I think they should be.

The bike was new in July so the fluid should be fine. As such, should I do the full line/caliper/lever bleed process as outlined in the Avid how-to video, or will just bleeding the lever suffice? Trying to figure out if I should enlist a second set of hands before starting the job.

Thanks!

Bicycle Addict
    Forget it, thats just the way they feel. I hate my Avids. I'm sure someone will have something more constructive to say about them.
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing

Spice
    Dec 2008
    I do! Love them, no problems here with my cr's after a few years. Might as well bleed the whole lot whilst you're at it, it's quick and easy to do and gets the job done properly.
    Just remember to take the pads out first.... else they'll get wet, and even worse

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    It's kick and easy to bleed them. Instead of using that bleed block that came with them, I used a set of old pads, which firmed up the levers for me.

If you have some CR's that you don't like, I'll buy them from you, I need a spare set

mtbr member
    They should be better than they sound. Do a full bleed - there are plenty of video's on youtube from avid, pinkbike etc on how to do it.

Should make a massive difference. Just do it slowly.