mtbr member
    Aug 2004

bleeding hayes hfx mag plus without a mess?

What is the trick to bleeding the system and not getting brake fluid everywhere when you remove the 'overflow' tube from the master cylinder?

the wrench
    dont use the overflow tube.

no seriously. at the shop where i work we have stopped using the overflow tube because it usually lead to more or a mess making the repair take longer. now what we do instead of the overflow tube we tie a few rags around the lever nice and tight which then catch all of the overflow fluid. once the bleeding is done close the resivoir remove rags; wiping uf excess fliud then spray the lever with some methyl hydrate to neutralize the brake fluid then either wipe of blow off. and voila the 10 minute bleed job.
    do it, do it DO IT!!
    DOOOO IIIIIT!!

Race Technician

Assuming.....

You still have the lever up at the 45 degree angle and the bleed screw closed on the caliper. Just lift the fitting out of the master cylinder straight up and let the fluid in the hose run into your catch bottle. Replace the screw to cap the hole and there should be no mess.

Randy@Hayes

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    The lever is at 45 degrees. You're saying that the fluid in the tube will magically stay in the tube while I pulled the fitting out of the lever? The tube is full of fluid, one end is sitting in open space (inside the overflow bottle) and the other is connected to the lever. I can't think of any mechanism that would prevent the fluid from dumping out of the tube as soon as I removed the tube from the lever.

Race Technician

gravity...

With the bleed screw in the caliper closed, there is a trapped column of fluid in the catch hose. If you quickly lift the bleed fitting from the master cylinder straight up the fluid in the tube will travel into the catch bottle with no mess.

Randy@Hayes