Cracker

Bleeding elixir brakes

Will the bleed kit for juicy brakes work for the elixirs as well
    It might get a little steep from here

TNC
    noMAD man
    I was wondering about this too. I believe another poster in a recent post here mentioned that there was a difference in the procedure but perhaps with the same kit. The Elixirs don't have the same reservoir design and the bleed port at the MC looks more like a Hayes Mag location. I have 2 sets of these very impressive brakes but haven't had to putz with bleeding yet. The only video and text on bleeding from SRAM I've seen so far only involves the Juicy's. Anyone found something different?

Spud State Rider

yes it will

I just bled mine using the standard kit.......no problems.

Just make sure the contact adjustment with the plug is turned upwards......I was kind of going WT_ trying to get a tool on the port til I realized.....duh just rotate it so its facing up.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Yes...Here is a instructional vid...Elixir uses the same technic as the Juicy.

Mikey

BTW...I bought some Elixir R's for my bike based on TNC's reviews as well as others. I had to cut both lines as they were too long. I bought the bleed kit and bleeding was simple.
    I am amazed with these brakes...modulation has made me a better rider!

squish is good
    Yup x 3. Done it twice on a set of my buddy's Elixer CR's. Still trying to talk myself into buying a pair... they are so cheap and work so well!

The old Nines just won't die though...
    Bike good, work bad.

TNC
    noMAD man
    Clutch, the more complex bleed procedure for Juicy's seems to me to be due to the reservoir cap design and the port location...at least more complex than Hayes. It seems very hard to get all the air of that system. I suspect an air bubble or two hangs around in that reservoir and then gets into the system under certain conditions. That reservoir design on the Juicy's seems counterproductive to me since it's usually laying way over on its side. In motorcycles that use this design, at least the fluid level is more or less parallel to the ground most of the time. Well...none of this may have anything to do with the Juicy issue.

What I'm curious about is why the Elixir needs two separate syringe attachments for bleeding when the MC design looks more like a Hayes barrel design with a port close to the exit point to the hose. This type of system is usually really easy to bleed as it does not easily hold air...no good place for bubbles to migrate and hide. This is why you can use a plastic squeeze bottle by hand and a catch bottle for bled fluid on a Hayes. I'm thinking...just speculating here...that the Elixir should be an easy bleed too and not require all this back-and-forth two-syringe pain in the arse. While it's not the end of the world and not as complicated as rebuilding a Rochester Quadrajet carburetor, the Juicy bleed seems like a kind of a Rube Goldberg procedure trying to overcome a design weakness that traps air too easily. Yeah, I know...I've always been spoiled by easy brake bleeding and relatively trouble-free service out of Hayes Mags in the past, but even my motorcycle and automotive brake service hasn't ever required mulitiple syringes or pumps hanging out of each end of the system.

I'm tempted to try a sort of Hayes method when I do have to bleed my Elixirs just to see if it works. I absolutely love the brakes, and they've caused me to just about park all my Hayes Mags.

squish is good
    I'd say give it a shot, the avid bleed system seemed rather complex. Like to hear back from you on that one.

I'm not an expert on the inner workings of anybody's hydraulic brake though. I just bleed em when they need it.
    Bike good, work bad.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I don't see why squeeze bottles wouldn't work as long as you have a secure way to attach them to the bleed port. I don't have experience with any other system, but, bleeding the Elixir's didn't seem complicated at all (I do think the bleed kit is over priced...but what isn't with bikes?) I used the syringe to draw air out of the caliper then used it to push air out of the lines...pretty simple. No air bubbles and they work beautifully.

Give the squeeze bottle a try and let us know how it goes.

Mikey

edit: I do remember drawing quite a few bubbles from one of the reserviors, by pulling on the syringe, after bleeding the line...that would be hard to do with a squeeze bottle.
    Last edited by MikeyLikesIt; 04-11-2009 at 06:41 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    well to be honest I has been working with hydraulic systems since some years, one thing which is constant is that any fluid will scape were the easiest way it could find. I has been using this theory with all my brake systems. The Juicy and Elixir are pretty same, so what I do is:

1- fill half one of the syringes with the DOT fluid (bleed any air), it will be in the top (lever point).
    2- fill one full syringe with the DOT fluid (bleed any air), it will be in the bottom (caliper point).
    3- keep the top syringe in vertical position (to avoid air coming inside the lever).
    4- push the bottom syringe (allow the 90% of the fluid go to the top syringe or until it be full), you will see air coming from the system.
    5- push the top syringe (allow the 90% of the fluid go to the bottom syringe or until it be full), you will see air coming from the system.
    6- with both syringes half filled after do 2 or 3 times the previous process, just pull the lever as you were breaking (you will see air coming out and fluid moving from side to other).
    6- repeat 2 or 3 times step 5.
    7- remove the syringes and put 1 or 2 max drops of fluid in the bleeding ports and close them with the cap.

done, you have the system ready!

cheers

mtbr member
    May 2008
    i just followed the bleed procedure for elixir's that comes in the avid bleed kit. pretty much the same as whats on the video.