mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Bleeding brakes...can't push hydraulic fluids from caliber to lever...Juicy Carbon

Hi folks,

I was bleeding my line with an Avid bleed kit and was trying to push fluid up from the caliber to the lever. I did it fine with the other brake sets, but it was like pushing a brick on the rear set. What does this mean?

Used Avid bleed kit with the included DOT fluid.
    Avid Juicy Ultimate Carbon brake set

By the way...I had the bike sitting since late summer and the lever was completely dead. I went to pop open the top bleed hole and a punch of gas came out. It literally bubbled hydraulic fluid like I opened a can of coke.

Thanks!
    chikai

mtbr member
    I am guessing that you are doing it exactly the same as you did the front? And that the front bled well?

I ran into this once on a friend's bike that was severely neglected. The brake fluid was black and there were chunks of goop floating around inside. The symptom occurred on BOTH brakes, although it was more severe on one. I suspect a chunk of goop was blocking a small orifice on the lever.

To resolve the issue, I applied pressure with the syringe on the caliper, then I worked the lever back and forth. Soon the blockage was dislodged.

Plays with tools
    Rustyiron is on the mark. When DOT fluid breaks down it clumps up into black balls of nastyness. If one of them gets stuck in a port it can be difficult to move any fluid. Think of it as a clogged artery. Try removing the line and blowing compressed air through it to clear it out. Then do the same with the caliper, blowing in where the brake line enters and out the bleed port. I wouldn't try this with the master cylinder though. I'm afraid it might burst the rubber resivoir. Then re-attach and see if you can get any fluid to move. The Avid brakes were completely rebuildable so assuming you can find parts they should be salvageable.

mtbr member
    Would new lines be a good thought? I picked up an old (2010) set of elixir cr's last summer and installed new lines along with a fresh bleed and fluid. They work like new now, it's amazing. I don't know if I necessarily needed lines, but I figured it couldn't hurt.
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride have no legs...
    Road riders who don't mountain bike have no soul...

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    make sure you are following the procedure exactly. 90% of the time someone is not doing it as Avid instructions and can't figure out why it won't work. Check that you have the reach adjusted all the way out (lever as far away from the bar as adjustment will allow). It could be a little plug but don't assume so right away and blow compressed air in system (not recommended). Replacing all your lines is a bit drastic too.

Also, seems like you had a lot of air in your system. You would expect a few little bubbles, not many though. This could indicate another problem like you have a leak letting air in somewhere. Did you start at the caliper and then move up to the lever? Any issues bleeding the caliper?
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    yes...I had done the front...and the front and rear on a previous bike within the same afternoon. So pretty sure I was following the correct procedure. I did notice when I was able to pump up a tad to the brake lever the fluid in the syringe at the top was a bit murkier than my other bike.

I'll try tearing the system apart and blowing air through the lines.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by chikai View Post
    Hi folks,

I was bleeding my line with an Avid bleed kit and was trying to push fluid up from the caliber to the lever. I did it fine with the other brake sets, but it was like pushing a brick on the rear set. What does this mean?
    In addition to the other (more drastic) suggestions offered, I would check that the travel adjustment screw on your brake lever is not all the way out. If it is all the way out, you will be unable to pass fluid from the rear caliper to the lever, regardless of anything else you might do.

mtbr member
    Just had this problem of a set of 2013 Avid Codes. Yup, it's blocked bro. I had to isolate the lever/master cylinder and squeeze the fluid out from there. Then it was perfect. Don't use the compressed air option until you're tried everything else. I've read bad results from that.